Half logs and hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Is it normal for my leopards not to use their hide? I keep reading that it's supposed to be there so I have one, and it's humid inside...but they don't use it. Dozer (the baby) prefers to dig under the bedding until the day bulbs come back on and Chompy (yearling) just sleeps where ever she decides to, but it's always out in the open. Do they not like their hide? Or are they just that comfertable in there?

Sara

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Macheteslaststep said:
Is it normal for my leopards not to use their hide? I keep reading that it's supposed to be there so I have one, and it's humid inside...but they don't use it. Dozer (the baby) prefers to dig under the bedding until the day bulbs come back on and Chompy (yearling) just sleeps where ever she decides to, but it's always out in the open. Do they not like their hide? Or are they just that comfertable in there?

Sara

In the "real world" leopard tortoises hide under bushes and shrubs. That's why they are colored like they are. When hiding under a bush they look just like the ground underneath them with the sun shining through the branches and marbling the dirt below. They feel safe with the touch of the bush above them. If you were to hang some cloth strips over the doorway of the hide, they might be more inclined to use it. But there's nothing wrong with allowing them to burrow into the bedding. That's normal behaviour.

Yvonne

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Macheteslaststep said:

Sara

Normal. I have one that burrows into the coconut bark and one that always wants to be under the log hide. My big guy prefers a corner.

Misty
5 Sulcata's
3 Leopard's
4 Indian Star's

Status
Not open for further replies.