Gunther and Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Here are some pictures of Girly Gunther our RES. Does anyone know how to tell the approximate age of RES?
And some pictures of Ralph, our Sulcata. He is 4 yrs old.

Don't worry, the pictures show Ralph eating an apple. I know fruits are not to be given a lot. It's been probably about 2 months since he's had one. He sure does love 'em though!

GirlyGunther110608001.jpg

GirlyGunther110608002.jpg

Ralph11608008.jpg

Ralph11608004.jpg

Ralph11608003.jpg

Ralph11608002.jpg

Ralph11608001.jpg

Ralph11608007.jpg

Ralph11608006.jpg

Ralph11608005.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Debbie, glad the picture thing worked for you. My daughter has 4 Res. They are big eaters and the boys are about 4 1/2 inches at 20 months and the Girls are over 5 inches at the same age.
I'm not sure there is a real way to tell how old they are. I know by the nails on its front feet yours definitely looks like a female. Ralph looks like one happy Sully. Congrats on some nice shelled ones.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Debbie: My sister is going to be so happy to see your sulcata pictures. Her sulcata, Bob, also has those funny bumps on his nose and I'm always teasing her about him. Now she can point to yours and tell me that Bob isn't so unusual after all!! What else is it in that food dish? Yams? That's good...lots of Vit. a. A bit of apple every so often doesn't hurt, but don't make it be more than 10% of his diet.

There really isn't any way to tell how old a RES is because they grow because of how well or no-so-well they are fed. I've been given a 5 year old that looked like a yearling and a 5 year old that was too big for his 10 gallon tank (DUH!!). If you feed them well and a lot, they will grow fast and big. They tell you they are starving to death and train you very fast!

Your pictures show a couple of well-loved and happy pets. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I love my "guys". We first thought Gunther was a boy, hence the name. Then we found out he was a she but couldn't figure out a good name so we came up with Girly Gunther. Ralph, we thought and the vet thought was a he, but recently it's looking like a she. I'll take some pics later today and see what you all think. No matter, the name will still stay as Ralph.

I always make fun of Ralph because of his nose bumps. It looks like he smashed his face into the side wall. hehehehehe

I forgot to mention...

The vet told me if I was concerned about the new shell growth and the flakiness of the shell to brush a soft bristle toothbrush on the shell to remove the white. I've tried it and he HATES it. Do you think I"m hurting him or just annoying him? I would like for him to have a nice shiny shell, but that hasn't happened in awhile

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That new portion of the shell, where it grows, is very tender. I have no doubt that he would hate for you to irritate it with a brush.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.