Greenhouses

legan52

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Can I see some greenhouse setups? We live near Chicago, and while it won't be an issue for a few years with our sully being so tiny, we have an opportunity to buy a nice greenhouse from a family friend. (I don't have the specs yet, but it's a walk-in). I've never had one, so I was curious on how much warmer they stay and how an area could be set up inside for a full grown sulcata. Has anyone done this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just as cold inside the greenhouse as it is outside on a cold winter day, unless you have a heater going in there. During the summer the temperature quickly rises high enough to cook your tortoise.

This is my greenhouse with heated night box:

new Greenhouse 10-16-14 day 6.jpg night house a.jpg night house b.jpg

In summer, even with the four roof vents open and all the little openings around the bottom open, it's way too hot inside for a tortoise to live all the time. I keep the door open and they spend the day outside of the greenhouse.

Last edited:

legan52

Chicago
It's just as cold inside the greenhouse as it is outside on a cold winter day, unless you have a heater going in there. During the summer the temperature quickly rises high enough to cook your tortoise.

This is my greenhouse with heated night box:

View attachment 190439 View attachment 190440 View attachment 190441

In summer, even with the four roof vents open and all the little openings around the bottom open, it's way too hot inside for a tortoise to live all the time. I keep the door open and they spend the day outside of the greenhouse.

That's awesome! We would have a heater set up. It isn't quite as large as yours, im sure, but large enough for us to set up a nice winter area. We already have the summer enclosure planned out!

Last edited by a moderator: