Greek or russian?

Smithkirsten66

Location (City and/or State)
Waveland MS
I bought my tortoise from petsmart, labeled testudo. Does it look to be greek or russian? It has 2 warts on its rear, i believe spurs. 4 nails front & back. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240321_134352.jpg
    20240321_134352.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240320_115237.jpg
    20240320_115237.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought my tortoise from petsmart, labeled testudo. Does it look to be greek or russian? It has 2 warts on its rear, i believe spurs. 4 nails front & back. Thanks in advance!
I agree its a Russian, but it should not be fed fruit. The clover is good though.

Here is the correct care info:

Smithkirsten66

Waveland MS
I agree its a Russian, but it should not be fed fruit. The clover is good though.

Here is the correct care info:
Thank you so much for all of your useful information & helpful threads! I wont be feeding him fruit anymore & thank you for helping identify him!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Petsmart also tells everyone they are locally bred and “about one year old” neither of which is true, that’s just what the salespeople are told to tell potential buyers. Based on his shell which is a bit beat up he’s almost certainly a full grown wild caught adult.

How big is he across the bottom of he shell front to back?

Smithkirsten66

Waveland MS
Petsmart also tells everyone they are locally bred and “about one year old” neither of which is true, that’s just what the salespeople are told to tell potential buyers. Based on his shell which is a bit beat up he’s almost certainly a full grown wild caught adult.

How big is he across the bottom of he shell front to back?
Yes! I was told on the phone that he was small and no bigger than the employees fist & nomore than a year old, when i arrived it was pouring rain and i drove for an hour so i didnt want to leave without him, and when i saw him he was treated pourly, scared, seemed depressed, not active at all, and in a tiny tank so i insisted i take him home. Hes definitely an adult, i can see it in his behavior. Hes much better off now, active & happy with a beautiful appetite. I was stupid however and should have done more research before getting a tortoise. He is 4 inches even on bottom shell & with his head and tail id add an extra inch or so to that. I feel so bad that they took him from the wild. However id rather myself have him than him spend another day in petsmart.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes! I was told on the phone that he was small and no bigger than the employees fist & nomore than a year old, when i arrived it was pouring rain and i drove for an hour so i didnt want to leave without him, and when i saw him he was treated pourly, scared, seemed depressed, not active at all, and in a tiny tank so i insisted i take him home. Hes definitely an adult, i can see it in his behavior. Hes much better off now, active & happy with a beautiful appetite. I was stupid however and should have done more research before getting a tortoise. He is 4 inches even on bottom shell & with his head and tail id add an extra inch or so to that. I feel so bad that they took him from the wild. However id rather myself have him than him spend another day in petsmart.

yes you will give him a good life, I'm sure. Follow the links provided above and you'll be off a great start.