greek baby tortoise question

satgo

Hi I have 25 day tortoise 1.is cucumber,potato,tomato,carrot good for greek tortoise??because is hard to every day buy fresh green vegtable and wash them and..... 2.which foods is dangrous for him??any vegtable or.....i should avoid 3.i give my tortoise calcium syrup twice every week is need to add multi vitamin??how much? 4.i keep him in trarium.can i sometimes free him in my room??no dangre for him and everything is safe 5.if i let him walk in my room is his urine alot??? Tnx alot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi:

If you read the care sheet pinned at the top of our Greek section here on the Forum, you'll get a good idea what foods are good for your baby. The diet of cucumber, potato, tomato and carrot is probably the worst thing you could be offering the baby.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
1) Cucumber is 96% water so not good to feed except as a treat, to rehydrate your tort or to hide prescribed medicines in.
Potato is toxic and potentially fatal. DO NOT FEED.
Tomato leaves, stalks and green tomato fruit are also toxic, the red fruit is too high in sugar.Maybe ok as a very occasional treat or for hiding other things you are trying to feed in.
Carrot tops, no, but a little grated carrot occasionally is alright and some recommend carrot baby food to add to your tortoises soak if it is not eating, so when it drinks it will get some vitamins.
2) Buttercups, Foxgloves and daffodils can kill. Check the tortoisetable.com for more details.
3) I use cuttlefish bone which also helps keep the beak trimmed. If the tortoise won't eat it, then a little is scraped onto the food a couple of times a week.
4) Best not to let him wander the room, even dust bunnies can be dangerous if eaten. A single paper clip could be fatal.
keep him in his enclosure, which should be 3' by 6' minimum.
5) If he does walk around the room it is very likely he will pee and maybe pooh on the floor.

satgo

1) Cucumber is 96% water so not good to feed except as a treat, to rehydrate your tort or to hide prescribed medicines in.
Potato is toxic and potentially fatal. DO NOT FEED.
Tomato leaves, stalks and green tomato fruit are also toxic, the red fruit is too high in sugar.Maybe ok as a very occasional treat or for hiding other things you are trying to feed in.
Carrot tops, no, but a little grated carrot occasionally is alright and some recommend carrot baby food to add to your tortoises soak if it is not eating, so when it drinks it will get some vitamins.
2) Buttercups, Foxgloves and daffodils can kill. Check the tortoisetable.com for more details.
3) I use cuttlefish bone which also helps keep the beak trimmed. If the tortoise won't eat it, then a little is scraped onto the food a couple of times a week.
4) Best not to let him wander the room, even dust bunnies can be dangerous if eaten. A single paper clip could be fatal.
keep him in his enclosure, which should be 3' by 6' minimum.
5) If he does walk around the room it is very likely he will pee and maybe pooh on the floor.
woow.realy tnx alot i will keep all of these in my mind to keep him more happy.tnx again