Grazing

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
The grazing instinct.
I have an observation and would be interested if anyone sees similar behavior or has an opinion about it

I have 2 young leopards , 8 & 9mos old - Dunk & Hyde. When I feed them I set em down in front of a pile and they immediately start eating. But before too long they are both off on their walkabout on my large lanai. While exploring they are putting their nose on every speck of dirt or blade of anything growing up in the cracks between the paving bricks. If they like it they eat it, then are off for more walking. I have to be careful nothing is on the bricks they shouldn't eat as they bite at everything for a check.

I tried an experiment and spread out some grass and broadleaf in very small pieces around the lanai. This seemed to be the ticket and each of them stops and takes a few bites every time they come across a tid bit and then moves on.

They seem to want to eat in this way as opposed to just sitting on a pile of food and eating till stuffed
They also have a 8'x 8' enclosed outside pen that they spend the days in and it's fully planted so they always have food available. This may change their need to stuff themselves in one sitting also.

Has anyone else witnessed this grazing behavior / need? Walking away from a pile of food to find just one little tidbit someplace else ?

I do like that it provides them a reason to walk long distances. It's amazing how active they both are. It's like they are on a treasure hunt. :)

They are supervised since " Dunk" has tipped into the pool a few times for a swim.
Hence the name. Lol.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes to this - Has anyone else witnessed this grazing behavior / need? Walking away from a pile of food to find just one little tidbit someplace else ?

• This past Sunday it was nice and hot here in Maryland and we had our small guy out for some sunshine in an enclosed area on our deck. We had put in a large pile of greens including cut up minced grape leaves. A nibble or two, but he seemed to have more fun exploring and walking about, as you say, nibbling and picking up any little thing. This included nibbling at nail heads popping from the deck boards.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
i have seen my russians do something like this. i give them there food pile they take a few biting, then they go back in there little burrow and a few hours later they come out take a few bites and repeat they do this through out the day

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
In the wild, they travel huge distances to eat, and graze a little at a time. One theory I've seen here on the forums (especially related to the relatively high oxalic acid in the plants native to their area) is that this little bit at a time grazing helps keep the oxalic levels low and ensures that the toxic plants they do eat aren't in levels high enough to cause them to get sick.

So yes, grazing even in captivity makes complete sense. :)

-Jen

Alaskamike

South Florida
In the wild, they travel huge distances to eat, and graze a little at a time. One theory I've seen here on the forums (especially related to the relatively high oxalic acid in the plants native to their area) is that this little bit at a time grazing helps keep the oxalic levels low and ensures that the toxic plants they do eat aren't in levels high enough to cause them to get sick.

So yes, grazing even in captivity makes complete sense. :)

-Jen
I also believe this to be true - I didn't think of that. This is a technique employed by other animals as well. It also insures variety in the diet in the wild. As well as avoiding poisoning. If a little bit of something makes the animal sick - they won't eat that again.
Seems to be instinctive.
There is another mechanism for health in animals called homeostasis. It is the bodies attempt to find balance in health. This involves diet , hydration, temp control, even exersise. It is probable that cravings women experience when pregnant are related to a need to body has for certain vitamins or minerals.

Isn't nature grand !