Good price for a 16 inch female

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveash

5 Year Member
I got someone wanting to sell me a 16 inch 16 pound female. Says breeding size? 600 is what there asking any thoughts.
Sent from my SPH-L900 using TortForum mobile app

Does this look like a female?

Attachments

• 1375068088661.jpg
    1375068088661.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 1375068105100.jpg
    1375068105100.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 1375068118927.jpg
    1375068118927.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 128

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks more like a 12" tortoise to me. Not a bad price if its healthy and been well cared for.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I've seen better and worse prices. I actually got lucky and got two 11 inch females for $150 each but that is a rare thing. Like Tom said if its healthy and you have the cash go for it. I'd try to talk them down to $500 though ;) lol why not

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
That is one to two years from breeding if you feed it well and nothing near the claimed size. The incorrect measurement alone would put me off (measurements that are off by more than an inch for adults or subadults are deal breakers for me because I once bought a so-called 18-inch animal that was really a 13-inch animal when properly measured). The price for the size and sex is not wholly unreasonable, but I can and have found better. I would not personally pay that amount for that animal. If I was in the market for a normal female, I might be willing to push that down to $500, but that would probably be my top end for it because it is too small to breed for me without a year of work or more and I do not delay breeding projects by that much if it is avoidable. For rare stuff, sure, but for commonly available types, no. Now, if you are willing to wait and have no timeline you are looking to stick to, okay, but then I would just find a $300-$400 deal for a 10-11" female animal when it comes along, save nearly half the cash, and sit back and relax while it grows into a breeder.

To recap:

Timeline fast? Get a breeding-ready animal and pass on this.

Timeline moderate? Push the price down to no higher than $500 because this was inaccurately described and is a year or two off.

Timeline lax/nonexistent? Get a slightly smaller female at a significant cost savings when a deal rolls around and pass on this; try to make out animal shapes in the passing clouds as you lay in the grass and this animal eventually becomes a breeder.

Timeline regressive? Potato.

fiveash

5 Year Member
Thanks for info. Im in no hurry this is a hobby I enjoy dont need rush to habe eggs. Just doing that so my daughter can see the whole process. I reaoly just like having a few small dinosaurs s in The back yard. I bought one smaller female from this person for good price and she called yesterday saying her brother had a female 16 pounds he wanted to sell. I wasnt really looking but a big female to join the clan wouldnt hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.