Glass vs Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinhood

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jonesboro, AR
Hey guys,

So I've been preparing for my own Sulcata. I'm so excited. I've bought some grass from www.sulcatafood.com. The seeds are sprouting now. Now I'm having a debate and digging online. It seems like it's preference, but I was wondering what you guys recommended or use. For a hatchling should you use a glass enclosure, or should you use a turtle table? I've found a turtle table for $119 and a very nice 40 gal glass terrarium for the same price. So what do you guys suggest? Thanks... I love this forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a matter of personal preference. I prefer either a large plastic bin or a tort table.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I would go with a tort table. If the table is bigger than the tank then you will be able to use it longer. Your little one will outgrow the tank in no time, lol.

Reptilemama38

5 Year Member
Connecticut USA
I prefer a table. I had a tank way back when for my first tort and she kept trying to walk through the glass. If you do use a tank, you might want to tape a border around the bottom few inches so your hatchling can't see out the glass. Just a suggestion.
Best of luck with your new baby!!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I prefer tables. I used to have a real issue with our russian pacing back and forth looking for an escape through glass tanks. My greek never tries to walk through the glass though and he is housed in a glass tank.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Bigger Is Always Better, You Can Simply Build Your own tort table, For Much Cheaper!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Definitely preference - but go with whichever is bigger. Ours started in a tank and is moving up to the table anyday now!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I like plastic tubs for indoors. They're cheap, which means you can put more resources into an outdoor enclosure.

topsyturvey

5 Year Member
Harbor Springs, Michigan
im a newbie but decided on a tank for my 2 new leopard babies, only had em two weeks but going very well I decided on glass so I can keep an eye on them and it helps by keeping the humidity up

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Reptilemama38 said:
I prefer a table. I had a tank way back when for my first tort and she kept trying to walk through the glass. If you do use a tank, you might want to tape a border around the bottom few inches so your hatchling can't see out the glass. Just a suggestion.
Best of luck with your new baby!!

i agree, visual barriers are very important with torts... they will hurt themselves trying to get through the glass with out it.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I really like glass with my leopard for the same reason... I like to keep the humidity up and the glass allows me to do so.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I love my glass Viv for my Leo hatchling. It makes it so easy to control temp & humidity. I like my wooden enclosure for my big girl but I have contemplated using plexiglas to close the bottom portion and putting a humidifier down there.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Glass, for the sake of humidity, you can easily solve the problem of them trying to "walk through it" by taping some paper on the outside of the glass to make it opaque.

Status
Not open for further replies.