Getting Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbgirl780

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi my name is Jo I have a Hermann's called Hermann. He is about 1 1/2 years old. I was wondering if it is a good idea to get him a friend and if so to get the same species or a different one?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Hi Jo.
if Hermann is flourishing under your care and you have enough room, getting him a friend is not a bad idea. however, you're going to want to stick to the same species. housing different species of tortoises together is a bad idea because of disease and general care requirements.

jbgirl780

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cool thanks I think I may get him a friend then. I thought I should get one of the same species but didn't know how they react to it, but will deffinately be thinking more about it now. thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jo what sex is Hermann? Boys tend to fight with each other and a mixed pair will breed. Occasionally even girls will fight with each other.

jbgirl780

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
From what I have read Hermann is too small to actually know the sex. But my uncle thinks Hermann is a girl

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
sorry robyn, i wasn't clear on behavioral aspects

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No worries Josh, you are right, shouldn’t mix species. I have known owners that have raised hatchlings together that do fine regardless of the sex. You just never know until they reach breeding age what behavior they may display. Sometimes if the enclosure is large enough you can have same sexes together with site barriers and that will cut down on the fighting. Not trying to discourage just trying to give some facts, so you can make an informed decision. Of course if you get another Hermann’s now and they get aggressive with each other in a few years they can always be separated. Unless they are a pair then you could have little Hermann’s running around. How fun :) Look at their natural habitat and how they live in the wild and that may give you more info on wheather to get yours a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.