JadeJade

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Can anyone tell the gender of my redfoot tortoise, he's 7inches long now, thank you

Attachments

• 20220128_173353.jpg
    20220128_173353.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 12

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My guess would be female but it depends how old s/he is. It may be too soon to tell for sure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A vet told me my tort was female, but Lola soon showed me she was actually a he by flashing his penis at every opportunity! :eek: Not a pretty sight!!!
I don't keep RF so I could be completely wrong but @ZEROPILOT may be tell you from the shape of the the tail and anal scutes.
Maybe a closer picture of her tail would help him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Female, she has a small tail and rounded tail/anal scutes.
At 7 years a Male should have some concaving of the plastron/bottom shell. This one doesn't appear to have any.

JadeJade

Uk
Female, she has a small tail and rounded tail/anal scutes.
At 7 years a Male should have some concaving of the plastron/bottom shell. This one doesn't appear to have any.
They have very slight concaving on either side but its very slight, I'm happy regardless of gender just wanted to know

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They have very slight concaving on either side but its very slight, I'm happy regardless of gender just wanted to know
I think with males the shell is concaved centrally rather than the sides to help him with mounting the female for breeding.
Does s/he have a unisex name?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bottom shell would be concaved not the sides. A full grown adult Male concaved shell looks like they had a bowl shaped into their shell it's so concaved