friends

maddie.hawks

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, London
riley always gets so worried if Titch isn’t in his sight, however he never goes near him! it’s like he’s protecting him and worried he’s lost and if we ask riley where titch is hell run over to him and sit down next to him (which is the action he does when he’s found something we’ve told him to)

Attachments

• 28DA500E-DFE2-45A3-A0B2-D4D990E3A986.jpeg
    28DA500E-DFE2-45A3-A0B2-D4D990E3A986.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 47

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I don’t think he misses the tortoise, you shouldn’t keep them this close, or close at all. There’s instances where a dogs that haven’t hurt nobody, just attack a tortoise.

So they aren’t friends, in theory the Dog would be the predator and the tortoise the prey.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I can't go through this again. Seriously. Needs a sticky in all caps.

Going with a new tactic...
When letting a dog and a tort socialize, prepare the tortoise properly.
First, for 20 mins, soak the tortoise in a nice beef stock.
Remove tortoise from stock. Sprinkle bacon bits, peanut butter, and shredded cheese on shell.
To maximize dog's enjoyment, add a squeaker to the tortoise.
Place tortoise and dog in back yard.
Have a neighbor or friend call, requiring you to go back into the house "for just a minute."
Come back 30 minutes later to a properly chewed up tortoise.
Pretend to act shocked when an carnivorous animal treats a prey item the way nature attended.
Don't learn from the experience and go and buy another tortoise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
riley always gets so worried if Titch isn’t in his sight, however he never goes near him! it’s like he’s protecting him and worried he’s lost and if we ask riley where titch is hell run over to him and sit down next to him (which is the action he does when he’s found something we’ve told him to)
Those of us here have heard those very same words from every newbie with a dog and a tortoise. In captivity... domestic dogs are the biggest predator of captive tortoises or turtles. Please believe us...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Remove tortoise from stock. Sprinkle bacon bits, peanut butter, and shredded cheese on shell.
Have a neighbor or friend call, requiring you to go back into the house "for just a minute."
Pretend to act shocked when an carnivorous animal treats a prey item the way nature attended.
Oh man, that's harsh...true, but harsh...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Now that is the type of sarcasm that gets me called all sorts of bad names, but you, you have acheived a level of eloquence that I can only look up to and aspire to reach someday. This must be what its like for those other players whose names you don't know to have to be on a court and play ball with Michael Jordan. Their best efforts just pale in comparison. You, my friend, win the internet for the day, and though it is still early, I think you may win it for the week or even the whole month.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Now that is the type of sarcasm that gets me called all sorts of bad names, but you, you have acheived a level of eloquence that I can only look up to and aspire to reach someday. This must be what its like for those other players whose names you don't know to have to be on a court and play ball with Michael Jordan. Their best efforts just pale in comparison. You, my friend, win the internet for the day, and though it is still early, I think you may win it for the week or even the whole month.
Thank you. I'm here all week. Try the veal.

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
haha that is hilarious you guys are so funny i have had a good laugh with this, my dog wouldn’t hurt a fly, sorry if you don’t believe me but my dog has been round this tortoise his whole life and my nan introduced them when riley was a puppy and he used to sit and watch him, riley is the best dog ever and we have properly trained him to never hurt a fly, he’s never ripped anything off and if u go “aht” he stops anything you tell him to, he’s a gentle boy, and again i am sorry if you don’t believe me but thanks for given me a good laugh

L

LasTortugasNinja

haha that is hilarious you guys are so funny i have had a good laugh with this, my dog wouldn’t hurt a fly, sorry if you don’t believe me but my dog has been round this tortoise his whole life and my nan introduced them when riley was a puppy and he used to sit and watch him, riley is the best dog ever and we have properly trained him to never hurt a fly, he’s never ripped anything off and if u go “aht” he stops anything you tell him to, he’s a gentle boy, and again i am sorry if you don’t believe me but thanks for given me a good laugh
I ran a reptile rescue for 5 years. Forgive me as I laugh at all this because I've heard it over 50 times, verbatim. So I'll put my knowledge of animals over 4 decades against your "training." But you do whatever you want. There is ZERO benefit for the tort, it's an added stress because the tort has no concept of "pet dog" he sees a wolf, and his genetics tell him that wolf is threat. Dog has no concept of life. Dog sees tort either as a toy or snack. All it takes is for you to mess up ONCE, the tort snaps at the dog for getting too close or in his perceived territory, and the dog returns the snap, severing an arm or the head. Yes. GENTLE dog. Also, "not hurt a fly" is ridiculous. Dogs snap flies and bees out of the air all the time. Anyway, fix him up for dinner any way you like. No skin off my back. Wish I could say the same for your tort.

I'm sure others will cater to your desire for attention. I'm done. I have better things to do.

Another soul for the ol' ignore button. It's gonna need an antacid after all these.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
It is difficult in these situations. People tend to have very strong feelings on this matter because it is a matter of safety. Science does show that dogs are not just the savage beasts that their cousins, wolfs tend to seem at first glance, but on they other hand, neither turtle nor dog really understands the other. The turtle might just see a big animal that can be a threat, and the dog might see just a weird moving rock that he should be both curious yet fearful of. The dog might see a snack, or a friend, the bottom line is we do not know. I also do not know if I drive on the wrong side of the road that I will die, but many others have, so it is best to not. We never know when instinct will win. There is a lack of answers, but a plethora of injured turtles so I believe it is best if we choose not to find out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
While I have no doubt that you are a wonderful person and a loving, caring pet owner, you must consider that the collective experience here at the forum is real.
The sweetest dogs just one day decide that the tortoise they've seen every day is now a great chew toy.
It's not a vicious dog. It's not even un doglike behavior. It's simply a dog being a dog.
When it happens, it is 100% natural.
The owners are always shocked.
But we try to warn others....We see this happen time after time. Week after week. And every story starts out like yours.
None of this is meant to insult you.
If we didn't care....We wouldn't have said anything.

donald duck

Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
While I have no doubt that you are a wonderful person and a loving, caring pet owner, you must consider that the collective experience here at the forum is real.
The sweetest dogs just one day decide that the tortoise they've seen every day is now a great chew toy.
It's not a vicious dog. It's not even un doglike behavior. It's simply a dog being a dog.
But we try to warn others....We see this happen time after time. Week after week. And every story starts out like yours.
[/QUOTE
I have a tort he is about 2 years old and I have a very good dog in fact I have 2 dogs 1 is a Basset Hound and the other one is a Beagel X Basset and I never let the dogs near my tort I dont trust them no matter how good they are, I have my Ronnie in a big play pen for now with wire over the top and panels of wood round the bottom so one of the dogs cant get at him, would I trust my Ronnie to roam the garden withmy 2 dogs out in the garden no I would not, I have seen on FB that a dog ate a tortoises while the owner was out, My tort is in his top box in a spare bedroom and the door is shut when we go out and I watch where my 2 dogs are at all times, dogs and torts just dont mix!!

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Very well said!

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Well, I just have to say that I disagree with the "Dog has no concept of life."
I had my dachshund/chihuahua mix female dog, on the sofa while I was holding a young
baby bunny, and the dog repeatedly layed down in front of the rabbit trying to nurse the rabbit.
Of course the rabbit declined the offer, and I did feel bad because the dogs previous owner was a
backyard breeder, so her maternal instincts kicked in. I gave her lots of praise for
her kind gesture.
1591828567590.png

Anyways, Yes, torts are vulnerable. With or without bacon bits & cheese.....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well, I just have to say that I disagree with the "Dog has no concept of life."
I had my dachshund/chihuahua mix female dog, on the sofa while I was holding a young
baby bunny, and the dog repeatedly layed down in front of the rabbit trying to nurse the rabbit.
Of course the rabbit declined the offer, and I did feel bad because the dogs previous owner was a
backyard breeder, so her maternal instincts kicked in. I gave her lots of praise for
her kind gesture.
View attachment 296980

Anyways, Yes, torts are vulnerable. With or without bacon bits & cheese.....
I hadn't read that. But I would also disagree.
Dogs, being fellow mammals like us can feel love and affection and maybe even compassion.
I love my little 4 pound dog.
She is more than simply a pet.
I keep her out of my tortoises area for just the opposite reason...my tortoises. One in particular, recently tried chewing on HER.
Tortoises and dogs are a horrible mix.
You can treat your dog like a child like I do. But it's still a dog when you aren't looking.
Like I said, when one chews on a tortoise, it isn't misbehaving. It's just being a dog.
There are tens of thousands of years of instinct and wolf DNA in there.

Last edited: