freezing food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Can I freeze my grazing seeds?

Can I freeze some pumpkin flowers and leaves?

I think it's Ok, I just need reassurance.
I have a feeling I will be asking a lot of questions. I do look at old post but I get lazy sometimes.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can freeze the plants, however they usually turn to mush when you thaw them out. I've seen collards and spinach in the frozen food isle, but I think those items are par-boiled and then frozen.

There's no need to freeze the seeds. Just put them into a baggie and keep them in the fridge until you're ready to plant them.

jbean7916

5 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend freezing leaves. They do just turn to mush when they thaw out. My little sully had a hard time getting the frozen leaves to "bite" instead he just dragged them around

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I picked some pumpkin flowers back in August and threw them in the freezer. 4 weeks later when I defrosted them they were totally disgusting! Just one big pile of gross slop! I'm thinking that it's impossible. :(

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
If you can flash freeze them.. They will keep fine... But if you just throw them in the freezer when they thaw it will be a mess..[/b]

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
One winter I put my seeds in the vegetable bin in the bottom of the fridge. They germinated and were ready to sprout as soon as I planted them.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
What exactly is "flash freezing" and how do you do it??

Tony the tank said:
If you can flash freeze them.. They will keep fine... But if you just throw them in the freezer when they thaw it will be a mess..[/b]

What exactly is flash freezing and how would I go about doing it?

Tony the tank said:

Status
Not open for further replies.