Freaking Maple tree seeds. Toxic????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Today the Maple trees really dumped a crap load of seeds. Lana and Tank were grazing and did eat a few. They would try to spit them out but I did see a couple that they just ate with a mouthful of grass. Does anyone know if they are toxic? I can't find any info on them. I would cut them down but there is 5 huge trees :(

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Missy said:
Today the Maple trees really dumped a crap load of seeds. Lana and Tank were grazing and did eat a few. They would try to spit them out but I did see a couple that they just ate with a mouthful of grass. Does anyone know if they are toxic? I can't find any info on them. I would cut them down but there is 5 huge trees :(

Hi Missy i have been trying to find out for u all i could find out is Red Maple is bad, I am sure there will be a expert along soon, If it was my Tort i would ring the Reptile Vet for advice some toxics can pass through ok with plenty of soaks but i am no expert hope ur little torts are ok.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Missy ....
The Silver Maple (Saccharinum) if this is the tree your speaking of is not toxic but seeds may not be the best for your tort for " passing" .
Silver maple sap can be used to make a good, light syrup, although the sugar content of the sap is the lowest of the maple species used for syrup production. The sap has been used for kidney and liver ailments and also as a cough syrup.
The abundant seeds of silver maples are eaten by many birds, including evening grosbeaks, finches, wild turkeys, ducks and other game birds, and small mammals, especially squirrels and chipmunks. The buds are an important food for squirrels when stored food is depleted, particularly in late winter and early spring. The bark is a food source for beavers and deer and rabbits browse the foliage.
JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.