Franklin ate tree sap

Jake1363

Hey only my second post but I was a bit worried today when I got home from work and went out side to check on Franklin my redfoot. He was getting a drink when I came up to him to feed him so he came running as fast as he could over to me but I noticed what I could only assume to be tree sap hanging from his mouth. I don't know if I should be worried or if its OK for them to havee some every once in a while. Iam almost positive this is the first time or at least it has only happened a very few times because I do check on him and hang out with him a few times a day and have never seen sap on him before

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I'm not sure if they should eat sap or not, either way there is nothing you can do now.
Plenty of water and more food will dilute the ratio of sap eaten and reduce any toxin danger(if there is some).
Does he seem ok in himself?

Jake1363

I'm not sure if they should eat sap or not, either way there is nothing you can do now.
Plenty of water and more food will dilute the ratio of sap eaten and reduce any toxin danger(if there is some).

From what I can see nothing out of the ordinary. Will update if anything changes

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
From what I can see nothing out of the ordinary. Will update if anything changes
He'll be fine IMO. When we cut our apple tree I shred the branches and use it as substrate, the torts seem to love digging in it, I've caught them eating dried leaves that are still stuck to bits of branches, I assume these branches have sap in them. I've never had a problem.

Jake1363

Hey only my second post but I was a bit worried today when I got home from work and went out side to check on Franklin my redfoot. He was getting a drink when I came up to him to feed him so he came running as fast as he could over to me but I noticed what I could only assume to be tree sap hanging from his mouth. I don't know if I should be worried or if its OK for them to havee some every once in a while. Iam almost positive this is the first time or at least it has only happened a very few times because I do check on him and hang out with him a few times a day and have never seen sap on him before
So just an update Franklin is doing fine from what I can see.