Found abandoned Tortoise. Plz help Identify & have Calcium concerns

Prairie Mom

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the newest member of your family!

teri
Thank you, Teri:) We've had our little sulcata for a month now and have fallen in love with her. I'm so glad to be a part of this forum. I've met a lot of really fun people and am certain that the advice we received has saved the life of our little Mavis.:)

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
So glad that good people found her. It is important to do research and know how to care for your new pets. Sounds like S/he is loved :0) do we know a sex?

Prairie Mom

So glad that good people found her. It is important to do research and know how to care for your new pets. Sounds like S/he is loved :0) do we know a sex?
Thanks for your kind words, AbbyLee ! You are right, we've had to research how to care for Mavis night and day and it was pretty intimidating when we first started trying to care for her. This forum has been so helpful and all the guidance we have received has really improved the health of our tortoise. Plus, we've made some great new friends--YAY!

Our tortoise is too little to know the gender yet, but we're guessing female and will just continue to call our tortoise a "She" because my kids love the idea so much. We've explained to the kids that "Mavis" may turn out to be a boy and my 3 daughters just look at eachother like "Yeah...Right!" and laugh. Should be fun:)

Prairie Mom

It never ceases to make our family feel great whenever new friends find our story. We have all fallen for this tortoise in a way that I would have never anticipated. We've had our new-found tortoise a couple months now. It has been so fun to see her personality come out and build trust with us. We look forward to a long and happy life with her.

smaller mavis eat pumpkin vine.jpg
Mavis loves eating our back yard and we love watching!

small mavis pumpkin chloe.jpg
Mavis enjoying some pumpkin with my daughter who plans to take care of Mavis when I'm "an old Grandma." :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Prairie Mom,
I too have been adopted by a lost tortoise. Mine leopard was found in a field in Wales last July. It was quite warm in UK at the time but the poor thing had lost a foot - maybe rats/dog nibbled it. Nobody was looking for her so she was probably abandoned, My sister was going to have her originally but then her circumstances changed. I was going to give her to the BATK (British Association of Tort Keepers) to rehome, but they were 200 miles away, Anyway when it came down to it I just fell head over heels with her and decided to keep her. She is now named Lola and keeps me very busy with trying to find her the right diet and getting her living quarters right.

I must admit it hasn't been easy as I work full time and don't have help at home, so caring for her has taken over and changed my life. I have often wondered if I am just being selfish by not finding her better owners who could give her a better home, but the people on here are fantastic and I have learnt so much and continue to learn everyday, It is always the first place I look for answers.

It makes me so sad that people abandoned any animal, but especially those that need special care, knowing that by leaving them somewhere they have probably passed a slow death sentence when there are always free ways to rehome them.

Good luck with - looks like she has landed on her feet by adopting you
Lyn

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Last should read - Good Luck with Mavis...........

Lyn

Prairie Mom

Absolutely love this story. To think how a quick turn of events can't add so much joy.

Keep those pics coming :)
Hi Jmill,
I remember you! I was very interested your introduction on the forum. I'm afraid it was a speedier read where I simply clicked the "like" button where ever I agreed with what members were saying. I have been rooting for you to get your sulcata:) When will you be able to bring your little sweetheart home? Thanks for your kind response to my thread. You couldn't be more correct...I still continue to be amazed how this quick moment on the drive home has completely changed my family and altered the way I view the world around me. When I was walking my kids to school this morning, I caught myself looking at the ground and noticing which weeds my tortoise could eat! I also actually BOUGHT dandelion seeds from Amazon. I never thought I'd be doing any of this and am very happy that I am. Wishing the same happiness for you too!
Chrissy

Prairie Mom

Hi Prairie Mom,
I too have been adopted by a lost tortoise. Mine leopard was found in a field in Wales last July. It was quite warm in UK at the time but the poor thing had lost a foot - maybe rats/dog nibbled it. Nobody was looking for her so she was probably abandoned, My sister was going to have her originally but then her circumstances changed. I was going to give her to the BATK (British Association of Tort Keepers) to rehome, but they were 200 miles away, Anyway when it came down to it I just fell head over heels with her and decided to keep her. She is now named Lola and keeps me very busy with trying to find her the right diet and getting her living quarters right.

I must admit it hasn't been easy as I work full time and don't have help at home, so caring for her has taken over and changed my life. I have often wondered if I am just being selfish by not finding her better owners who could give her a better home, but the people on here are fantastic and I have learnt so much and continue to learn everyday, It is always the first place I look for answers.

It makes me so sad that people abandoned any animal, but especially those that need special care, knowing that by leaving them somewhere they have probably passed a slow death sentence when there are always free ways to rehome them.

Good luck with - looks like she has landed on her feet by adopting you
Lyn

Hi Lyn,
Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your story with me! After I read your story, I had to get up and do some things in the kitchen and give kids snacks etc. I felt a little silly when I realized I was STILL SMILING from having read your story many minutes later:) I agree with every point you made and love the way you say that you were "adopted by a lost tortoise also"--wonderful! I LOVE LOLA!!! I love the name and I love HER! I would love to see more photos of her and am extra curious to see her getting around without one of her feet. What a resilient and special tortoise!

I understand how you feel about the challenges of caring for a tortoise. I really do! I still feel a bit overwhelmed and unprepared at times. It's not like you and I had the time to research and prepare for these little beasties! :) I'm glad Lola is with you. I sympathize with your concerns about your busy work schedule, but at least you can take comfort in the fact that these are solitary animals (not like dogs etc) that actually prefer to be alone in peaceful surroundings. I don't think you are selfish AT ALL. It's obvious you love her. I would rather she was with someone who loves her, especially when more often you see people treating these animals like objects to be traded and sold after they lose their owner's interest. Lola will have a much better life being with someone who "selfishly" loves her :) Please send me an email or tag my name whenever you post photos of her.
It's a pleasure meeting you!
Chrissy