Foggy days for Russian tortoise in Southern Califorina

Claudea

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Keeping my tortoise in an outdoor enclosure -- a remodeled raised bed. Since I live near the beach in Southern California, we often get foggy days. How important is basking for their body temperature? Do I need to provide a basking light on cloudy days? Haven't seen any lamps that are suitable for outdoors. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cold clammy beach weather is not good for a tortoise that doesn't come from that sort of environment. An outdoor heat lamp won't work well exposed to the elements outside.

I see two reasonable options: 1. Make a large indoor enclosure and use it when the weather outside isn't good for your tortoise. This would give you the best of both worlds. Perfect conditions 24/7 indoors when you need it, and plenty of outside time when its warm and sunny. 2. Make a heated night box that also has lights on timers and heating devices controlled by a thermostat. Your tortoise must have a place to get itself heated up. A basking lamp outside isn't going to do it.

I've had to rehab an awful lot of tortoises that were housed outdoors near the beach in all my years. Its just not a good environment for them, unless they come from that sort of environment naturally.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum from another Southern California member! It sure can get cloudy in Oxnard. :)