Flipping tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinej50

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio Texas
I've read that it is rare for a tortoise to flip but one of my tortoise flips over quite often and she never rights her self. Any suggestions? I've tried to make it flip prof but she even flips just climbing the wall.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you placed objects around the perimeter of the enclosure to make it difficult/uncomfortable for the tort to try to climb the walls?

How high are the walls of your enclosure? (two times, three times, four times the height of your tort --if it were standing on its back legs?)

Do you let your tort run around outside of the enclosure often?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
They have an indoor enclosure and the only time they are out of it is when they are in their outside enclosure. That wall is about a foot tall and they are only 2 inches. She flipped one time even though she was just walking on some little rocks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Itty bitty baby huh, I would remove the rocks (and create a soft landscape)....I would also try to put some fake plants for hiding in around the entire perimeter of the enclosure----I would also be sure (you likely have already done this) that the water dish is nowhere near the perimeter of the enclosure (flip zone) just incase the tort has a roll over into the water dish---not a good thing.

It is very common for a tort to flip ALOT when they are little--however, it is possible to cut as much out of the enclosure to decrease this from happening....

When the babies flip it is hard for them to flip back over--it seems that due to their little legs, lack of roll over experience and such, they have a hard time getting back right...

I do not know what size your enclosure is, but if you are able to, can you create gently rolling type hills in the enclosure? this way your tort--while flipped may have a hill to push against to right itself....

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
I tried to put fake plants in but it worried me because they would try and eat them. I'm still looking for more real plants to put in it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I tried to put fake plants in but it worried me because they would try and eat them

Did you use silk artificial plants (which are tough to bite into by a baby--until they realize it is not food) versus the plastic ones? Did the tort actually OCD on the plant and repeatedly try to consume....if yes, then perhaps you will want to increase their food intake....

I have four indoor redfoot tort enclosures....each of the enclosures has a silk plant community in the dry cool side of the enclosure---this is the area that each of the torts will retreat to for night time sleeping as well as back and forth from the basking area back to the cool area...I did see one of the frisky ones give a taste or two and then went on about his business....

Have you tried to offer Mazuri as part of a dietary treat a couple times a week? This would offer up some vitamins/nutrients to perhaps curb his desire to search out goodies that may not be good for him...?

You also can try to create a visual lip around the perimeter of the enclosure walls----since the top is high enough away from the tort then you can even use something as simple as colored construction paper adhered to the perimeter walls at the top creating a cap inward over the enclosure...

Also, how deep is the substrate in your enclosure at present?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
I don't know much about the fake plants I just bought some from petsmart. Where could I find that Mazuri?

I do have the zoomed mix though.

Status
Not open for further replies.