First time being a baby leopard mom, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marujita

5 Year Member
IMG_0392.JPGThis is Marujita, my baby leopard. Got her three days ago and we are getting to know each other. I love tortoises since I was 5. We had a big tortoise that lived with us for years, but it was a tortoise from the Amazon. I have been reading about leopards and sulcatas, and I want to do the best for Marujita. Right now I have her in a fish tank but will build her a table soon. I got a UV solar glo 125 w lamp that hangs over one side of the tank. I bought the substrate in Petco and I read that it is best to keep it moist but to be careful not to create mold. Well, that sounds hard to do, so I would appreciate any ideas. I put live grass and a place to hide. I was very concerned the first day because she would not touch the food. I try feeding her grass but she is not interested. Yesterday she ate some romaine lettuce and tomato leaves. I bought calcium in powder but don't know how to give it to her, how much or where to put it, since she is such difficult eater. I bought her from a breeder that had the mother and father and they both had pyramiding so maybe it was not a good choice. He fed them commercial food that I read should not be their main food. But she is not eating the grass. I take her out for about one hour in the sun on the yard. No interest in the grass. She just wants to hide. Now, she seems more comfortable and comes out and looks at us.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Marujita:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

marujita

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne, my name is Milena and I am in San Fernando Valley, California. It is hot here these day. Great Leopard temperature!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hi Milena. It looks and sounds like you have done some research and are off on the correct start. You have a cutie there. Your setup looks nice and the uv light is fine to use. I would recommend getting a different hide box instead of the cardboard box since you will want it moist in there (warm/moist not cold wet like dripping). You can go to Wal-mart or even the dollar store and pick up one of those plastic shoebox containers. Cut a hole in it for the door so they can go in and out and place some of your substrate in it. Keep that moist and put it on the light side.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum.Lots of info on leopards here.

marujita

5 Year Member
Thank you, Christy, I will do that. Should I keep the light on at all times or Do they need to sleep without the light? The temperature here is in the 90s but can come down at night to 68. What about the food? It is OK if she just eats lettuce and tomato leaves? what else can I give her? Mazuri? Thanks again to everybody,

Milena

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
definatey needs a Much better diet.. and tomatoe leaves... are toxic.
try Spring Mix salad. its dark lettuce, baby greens, get some Mazuri and
see if he lkes that, small piece of summer squash, roses Not sprayed, grapes leaves,
nastursiums, pansies, mulberry ..
NO MORE tomatoe leaves!!

marujita

5 Year Member
Thank you, Laura. No more tomato leaves. I will try the Mazuri and others tomorrow.

marujita

5 Year Member
baby leopard doing great! She is eating lots. I ordered Mazuri but will come in a week. Temperature seems OK. Got a thermometer. Building the tortoise table and an outside playground for her. Thanks to all for the advice. Lots of info here, great forum. I am glad I found it.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
marujita said:
Thank you, Christy, I will do that. Should I keep the light on at all times or Do they need to sleep without the light? The temperature here is in the 90s but can come down at night to 68. What about the food? It is OK if she just eats lettuce and tomato leaves? what else can I give her? Mazuri? Thanks again to everybody,

Milena

Don't know if you ever got an answer to your question about the light. They need to have darkness at night to sleep. My inside temps are generally about 69 at night and that is okay. I do keep my combination UVA/UVB heat lamp on from 7 am to 7 pm during the day. Good luck with your pretty little tort!!

Outside UVA/UVB and heat are better if you can get outside!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is the temperature in your enclosure getting down to 68? I'm from the desert southwest so I like things nice and warm. With or without a humid environment I would say 75 to 80 degrees is the minimum temperature I would expose a young tortoise to. Highs closer to 100 degrees will encourage them to eat more.

I am guessing the substrate in your enclosure is cypress mulch? It should work out well for a leopard, I like that you have a large plant in there. I would keep them plant well watered and moist to create a micro climate that your tortoise can hide in. A humid hide would be a good idea for a tortoise that size, check around the forum, there are a lot of good ideas for humid hides. Other than that I would suggest you bathe him once a day or every other day at the least, and keep a dish of water in there (Which it looks like you have). Good luck!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
marujita said:

Milena

Don't know if you ever got an answer to your question about the light. They need to have darkness at night to sleep. My inside temps are generally about 69 at night and that is okay. I do keep my combination UVA/UVB heat lamp on from 7 am to 7 pm during the day. Good luck with your pretty little tort!!

Outside UVA/UVB and heat are better if you can get outside!!

I don't want to mislead you. I made a mistake in this posting. I should have said I keep my temp at "79" at night (not "69"). When I re-read the post I realized my error. Although I keep my UVA/UVB light from 7-7, I turn it off when my tort goes outside, which is everyday as long as the temps allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.