Fireweed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildak

5 Year Member
Does anyone know the amount of oxalic and phytic acid in fireweed ( Epilobium angustifolium ) ? They have a lot of good qualities and seem to be a perfect weekly food source but I can't find any info concerning tortoises.
Thanks
Bryan

wildak

5 Year Member
Thanks Angela, I found this one with the nutrition facts.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3048/2
It has additional info on the acids but nothing I could see on oxalic and phytic acid like in spinach that can problems. I have been feeding it in small amounts without any problems but it has a lot of good qualities and I was thinking of feeding it more often but I just don't know. Tortoises and turtles sure like the stuff.

Bryan

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The entire plant is a go 100% by all of sites....if I were lucky enough to have large amounts of it...I would absolutely make it a part of my guys daily diet....from what it sounds like, you can likely gage the meaning of "large amount" by any change in their, well poo.

And what tortoise would not want to chomp down on those yummy looking flowers... :p

wildak

5 Year Member
Yeah the flowers are the first to go. I'll slowly work up the amount and let you know how it goes.

Bryan

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
very cool....all the stuff I read shows that they "should" be easy to grow in my area as well.....likely not as well as in yummy green belts though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.