Fire ants and outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaija2012

5 Year Member
Help! We are trying to plan out a small landscaped outdoor/daytime enclosure area for a newly acquired one year old female t. hermanni to use in addition to her indoor enclosure. We live in extreme northern Florida and have been constantly needing to treat our entire yard for severe fire ants. I am very concerned that any outdoor enclosure will not be safe in this yard until the chemicals and ants are both gone. Not sure that will happen for some time though if ever (neighbors have them badly too and don't treat...so they keep colonizing and coming back over to our yard.) What are your advice and ideas for making a safe outdoor spot for this girl? All opinions appreciated. Thanks.

~Kaija

0.1.0 testudo hermanni boettgeri (Petra)
2.0.0 python regius (mojave Calvin and pinstripe Hobbes)
1.1.0 eryx columbrinus-sand boas
0.3 rescue dachshunds (Violet, Lily, and Ruby)
2.3 foster kittens!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Go to your favorite grocery store and get some Quakers Oats (or the house brand) uncooked grits (but NOT the "instant" kind!)...every time you see a mound, pour about a cup on it.

The workers will bring it into the mound, feeding some to the queen, and all will die. This stuff works great and will kill a living mound in a few days!

Might see if you can treat your neighbor's mounds, too...think of it as inexpensive insurance for the nasty little things! And it's totally harmless to your tortoise, should he/she come upon it.

kaija2012

5 Year Member
Genius! Thank you. Never would have imagined that use. Will certainly give it a try. I'm assuming that some ants will naturally still find their way into her area....should I be concerned as long as there aren't actual mounds in there? Will it hurt her if she gets bitten? Doubting that raising the enclosure off the ground would do any good since ants climb well...and since it basically ruins/negates the whole idea of naturally landscaped ground area too.

Status
Not open for further replies.