Female Diamondback.. will trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
You've seen her before - captive hatched '08 - fresh water raised - eats Reptomin, etc.

tfoFRF.jpg

She just keeps on growing.. she's right at 5" SCL now -

tfoFR.jpg

Just as beautiful as ever! What a face -

tfoFFACE.jpg

Unfortunately she doesn't like my male.

I am seeking a female that I can mate-up with him.. one that looks as good as he does - regardless of age -

218MALEProfile.jpg

Don't be bashful now.. make me an offer.

Call or email please...

Terry

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You can breed two normal phase together, sometimes you will get several concentric sometimes only one, sometimes none. If you breed concentric to concentric, you can get a higher concentration of concentric babies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
B K I acquired her on a potential trade with the breeder.. and then the trade went bad. The breeder told me there were Concentrics and Ornates together in the same pool.. so this is what resulted - no telling what she might produce if bred with another of either!

I believe that the different color "morphs" do occur in the wild... but not like this.

A number of summers back I was in Brunswick, GA crossing the causeway to Jeckyl Island and come upon a female crossing the road on her way to lay eggs... the short of the long is 6 eggs hatched and there were at least 3 different color "morphs" in that 6 egg clutch! [ soon after I returned that female to the area I found her BTW ]

Are you interested in trading B K?

Terry

B K

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
B K I acquired her on a potential trade with the breeder.. and then the trade went bad. The breeder told me there were Concentrics and Ornates together in the same pool.. so this is what resulted - no telling what she might produce if bred with another of either!

I believe that the different color "morphs" do occur in the wild... but not like this.

A number of summers back I was in Brunswick, GA crossing the causeway to Jeckyl Island and come upon a female crossing the road on her way to lay eggs... the short of the long is 6 eggs hatched and there were at least 3 different color "morphs" in that 6 egg clutch! [ soon after I returned that female to the area I found her BTW ]

Are you interested in trading B K?

Terry

I love to trade but don't have any torts to trade.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Do diamondbacks do okay in freshwater? I thought they were a brackish water species.

IN THE WILD - they hatch and spend a few days on land before entering the FRESH waters that feed into the 'brackish' intercoastal waters where they spend most all of their time.. except when they need to drink! They will drink from the surface when it rains or seek out puddles of fresh waters.. they can only tolerate so much salt in their system.

Then along comes man and hatches them out and introduces them to fresh water ONLY! As long as the FRESH water is kept perfectly clean they will do fine. It cost me 2X as much for the filtering system as it would for any other water turtle PLUS a 40% water change every 10 days or so.. for TWO 4"-5" sub-adults in 100 gallons of water. My filters pump 500 gallons an hour --- every 12 minutes their entire body of water they live in is filtered. The salinity in the brackish water they normally live in combats the external "bugs" that cause serious skin problems for them. It is not a pretty sight!

The pair that I have hatched in '08 and '09 and have only seen FRESH water.. plus a mere 1/4 cup of "sea-salt" per 10 gallons every other change.

newPAIR.jpg

Terry

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Whoa.. coolest turtle ever. The colors are so vibrant.. it almost looks animated :p

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Almost 6 weeks ago I acquired a 7" female that reportedly had been found on her way to the soup kitchen.. in China Town, NY!

As you'll soon read the man that had had her.. started out for 2 years then changed to 1 1/2 years - I'm thinking probly more like less than a year - had no clue. I ended up sending him a box with pre-paid shipping label on it.. even the tape to seal the box up with. I incuded a cloth bag to put her in and drew a picture how I wanted him to put the turtle in it and tape it around her waist.. even had foam peanuts included. He tied the bag!!!

Finally -

FedExandF.jpg

And thankfully she looked out like so -

Inthebag.jpg

Luckily her hide and beak are pristine.. perfect in every way.. and she was a friendly sweetheart -

TIO821.jpg

But....... she was a mess otherwise! [ you can see it on her in the bag ] He had made no efforts to transition her over to fresh water and she had serious [ bad enough ] shell rot all over her!

From a distance she didn't look too bad -

BIGHeadF.jpg

Even so it has been an ordeal treating her and she has become very stressed by it. Betadine and anti-fungal creme and 22 hour bouts of dry-dock.... and 'opening-up' the infected areas - the stench!
36_12_1.gif

............. it has had to be done. She looks considerably better now in the 'nesting' area -

TIO916BaskingLprofile.jpg

Now the wait as she transitions over to pelleted food.

I've been told by reliable sources that he could very well be 'mature'.. and do good now.. so next spring when the nesting season comes in - she may lay fertile eggs..
36_2_471.gif

A couple times I have seen her in the water to drink.. but most of the time she's under the 'basking' light. I believe the heat has done as well as anything to help heal her.

The past week has been cool and raining so she has been inside in a small tub in 'dry-dock'. Next week is supposed to be sunny and back into the upper 70's again so I'll put a little more Betadine "cleaner" on her [ back into the big green tub ] and let the sun bake out that remaining stuff that's trying to grow on that beautiful carapace of hers!

The few times that she has been in the water I get the impression he likes her.. he's always trying to get her attention - and she doesn't resist! That's a good thing...

TerrapinLUV.jpg

Can't resist - he's such a beauty also - imagine the babies THEY will make?!?!

211MaleLF.jpg

It may not seem like it right now... but the first hatchling I'll be again -
GRIN.gif
.. (minus most of the teeth)!

NERD

KEEPING THE WATER CRYSTAL CLEAN IS VITAL.. IT WILL RESULT IN A HATCHLING GROWING UP TO LOOK LIKE HIM.. OTHERWISE LIKE HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.