Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, CA
I'm trying to get my leopards to start eating grass. I saw them eat a couple strands of grass the other day. But haven't touch it afterward. All they want to eat is lettuce because...that's what the pet shop fed them. They are 3-5 inches, so i figured their diet has been consist of lettuce only. Is there any way i can train them to start eating other food? Starving them for a bit?

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
To introduce new foods to my 2 leos, I mix the new in with the old. Wet the lettuce a bit, so the new food will stick to it, chop the new food into little pieces and sprinkle it on top. They won't be able to eat around the grass and will get a taste for it. Have you given them cactus yet? Mine love the stuff. I used it to introduce Mazuri and several other types of greens. They can't resist, and it's sticky without wetting it. It is also high in fiber, which is very good for them! If you don't have Mazuri, you should get some. Some people don't feed it, but most of the people on here love it. My 2 are doing much better since I started feeding it 2-3 times per week. That's just my opinion though.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I'm not sure if you put them outside, but that got mine started eating grass and clover and weeds, and anything else they found in the yard and unfortunately my flower beds also. Once they find a plant they like to eat, it will soon be gone!! :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Plant some grass in your enclosure if you can. That's what I have done and the hatchlings will eat it all the time.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Ontario, CA
DocNezzy said:
To introduce new foods to my 2 leos, I mix the new in with the old. Wet the lettuce a bit, so the new food will stick to it, chop the new food into little pieces and sprinkle it on top. They won't be able to eat around the grass and will get a taste for it. Have you given them cactus yet? Mine love the stuff. I used it to introduce Mazuri and several other types of greens. They can't resist, and it's sticky without wetting it. It is also high in fiber, which is very good for them! If you don't have Mazuri, you should get some. Some people don't feed it, but most of the people on here love it. My 2 are doing much better since I started feeding it 2-3 times per week. That's just my opinion though.

Haven't try Mazuri yet. Will give it a shot
Thank!

Thanks all for the advice will try and hope for the best

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
2 ideas from experience: one is that I have found my Sulcatas eat everything in site, but Leos are a bit more picky, especially if their previous food before you own your leo is lettuce. I noticed that the fresh grass that they can pull with their mouth from the ground outside really does the trick. They tend to not touch the grass hay/dried, so the bermuda, ornamental, etc. work well. You can also plant seeds in bins and once it grows in, let them graze on that. 2: mixing the food is a good way as well. Our vet, Dr. Jarchow thinks with picky leos, starting them out on bok choys, instead of lettuce because it's high in fiber. Then mix and he also mentioned trying to put pure apple juice on what you are trying to feed them to convert them to healthier eating. I tried mixing pure pumpkin and it works for some and not for others. I tend to just try different ideas and see what works for that particular leo.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
If your tortoise is healthy and well established with you, I would just go "cold turkey". I healthy tortoise will not starve itself.
Quit feeding it the store greens and go straight to grazing. It may take a couple to a few days but they will come around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doug, if you click on the userCP tab up at the top of this page and then click on edit profile, you'll be able to put in where you are. We'll all be able to help more if we know where you are.

Like Tony said above, I get a clump of fresh grass in one hand and chop it up really fine over some pre-wetted greens with some scissors in the other hand. To make it work even better, I'll cut back the amount I feed them for two or three days leading up to this so I know they will be really hungry. At first, I just use a little grass. Gradually I use more and more grass and less and less of the other stuff. You can introduce new weeds and stuff the same way. I have found that after a while they get to where they will eat anything you offer. A little hunger goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.