Feeding

Ciera Stewart

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hey guys so my baby Russian will really only eat dandelion leaves now.. I've tried giving him kale and collard greens and mustard greens and he won't touch them. But he just devours the dandelion leaves. Is this ok or do I need to be more Stern and make him eat other things even if it means he doesn't eat for a few days?
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it's not okay. He really needs a variety. Take the other foods and chop them up fine along with the dandelion. Spritz with water. This way he has to eat some of the other items to get the dandelion. In the beginning use a little more dandelion. Then as he starts eating all of the items, slowly decrease the amount of the dandelion until it's about a 1/4 of the food. Don't want to eliminate it altogether.

SteveW

Hey guys so my baby Russian will really only eat dandelion leaves now.. I've tried giving him kale and collard greens and mustard greens and he won't touch them. But he just devours the dandelion leaves. Is this ok or do I need to be more Stern and make him eat other things even if it means he doesn't eat for a few days?
Thank you!

With picky ones, I cut the greens into long, thin strips, so it’s still a good fiber source, but harder for them to sort. Then I mist with water and add this:

IMG_1040.jpg

It seems expensive, but it will last a long time with a baby.