Feeding a russian while on vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Hi!
We are getting ready to go away for a short 3 day vacation. We have a pet sitting for our dogs but she knows nothing about torts. I wondered if anyone has any advice on how to feed him while we are gone. Can I just feed him once a day for those three days instead of the 2 times he is used to? He doesn't like pellet food and will not eat it so the pet sitter will have to give him fresh greens at least once while we are gone I guess. I just want to make sure he gets what he needs while we are away
Thanks in advance
Michelle

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
that sounds like it would be fine to me. some people only feed once a day anyway.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would have the sitter feed more than normal. Make sure it is put in a place that is dry. The heat will dry out what isn't eaten in the morning and the tort will have dried out greens to eat in the afternoon. Then have the sitter remove the next day anything that is left over. A lot of people on here feeds dried weeds and leaves they have dried and stored for winter feeding. I find that by the second feeding of my tort, what was not eaten in the a.m., he eats the dried and whatever fresh I give him in The p.m. Also make sure he can not flip.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I often go away for 2-2.5 days at a time. I make sure they're well fed the day before or the morning of the day that I leave, well hydrated, and that everything is safe and secure and I go. I feed them the day that I return and then back to their regular feeding schedule. Never had a problem.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Ask your sitter to check on them to be sure they aren't flipped over. Provide simple instructions - you may be surprised by your pet sitters capability!

Status
Not open for further replies.