Eye shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Any diseases related to eyes shut for long periods on Star tortoises?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Closed eyes usually isn't the disease in itself, but rather a symptom of something else.

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member
I emailed Marcus Langford regarding this and this is what he replied:
"It is helpful to spray them on their head and eyelids with warm water from a plant sprayer which unsticks their eyelids if they dry out too much.
You can do this 2-3 times a day if necessary."

samstar

5 Year Member
The substrate is hay so I am assuming to dry. This morning it ate well and I put a drop of cod livers oil on each eye, lets see how it goes.

samstar

5 Year Member
Well the whole of today it's eyes has been shut, only when I soaked it, it opened it's eyes than went back to sleep in the water. I just sprinkled a bit of water on it's eyes an hour ago but it didn't bother opening it. Tomorrow I have made an appointment with the vet first thing, I thought of rushing it down today but the vet is close. This vet has been working with reptiles for the past 30 years so I should be in good hands. I will also take my other Star down for a check up which I have not done at all since I have acquired them 3-4 weeks back. Hope all goes well.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
samstar said:
Well the whole of today it's eyes has been shut, only when I soaked it, it opened it's eyes than went back to sleep in the water. I just sprinkled a bit of water on it's eyes an hour ago but it didn't bother opening it. Tomorrow I have made an appointment with the vet first thing, I thought of rushing it down today but the vet is close. This vet has been working with reptiles for the past 30 years so I should be in good hands. I will also take my other Star down for a check up which I have not done at all since I have acquired them 3-4 weeks back. Hope all goes well.

Good luck. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree you need to carefully consider if this could be something besides just being too dry (I thought Stars were supposed to be kept very dry in comparison to other torts anyways?). Many serious health problems have a symptom of closed eyes. Best wishes and I hope the vet has some answers.

samstar

5 Year Member
This morning it tried eating but not much went it. Doc appointment is at 4pm and I cant be asked to wait, leaving now.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good luck I hope everything turns out for the best. Let us know how the vet visit went. He sounds very young is he/she?

samstar

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Good luck I hope everything turns out for the best. Let us know how the vet visit went. He sounds very young is he/she?

couple of months tops

M

Maggie Cummings

How did the Vet visit go? You always call the baby "it". I find that a bit disconcerting, he is a living being either he or she, but you haven't named him or refer to him as he or she. So how about you name him and we start acting like this is a living being that you are going to raise...

samstar

5 Year Member
Hi Maggie and the rest,
My star is doing good, I followed Marcus's advise and it's eyes are doing good now. The reason I say 'it' is becuase I dont know it's gender.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
samstar said:
Hi Maggie and the rest,
My star is doing good, I followed Marcus's advise and it's eyes are doing good now. The reason I say 'it' is becuase I dont know it's gender.

I'm confused. Is Marcus the vet you were going to? What was the treatment for such a quick improvement? Thanks for sharing. I've been worried about your little one and hoping things improved.

samstar

5 Year Member
katesgoey said:
samstar said:
Hi Maggie and the rest,

I'm confused. Is Marcus the vet you were going to? What was the treatment for such a quick improvement? Thanks for sharing. I've been worried about your little one and hoping things improved.

It's Marcus Langford.

M

Maggie Cummings

samstar said:
katesgoey said:
samstar said:
Hi Maggie and the rest,

It's Marcus Langford.

So who is that? I don't know that name. And if he's so much help, why are you asking here? I don't understand...

samstar

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
samstar said:
katesgoey said:
samstar said:
Hi Maggie and the rest,

It's Marcus Langford.

So who is that? I don't know that name. And if he's so much help, why are you asking here? I don't understand...

http://www.startortoiseuk.co.uk/
It's also good to get others opinion

M

Maggie Cummings

samstar said:
maggie3fan said:
samstar said:
katesgoey said:
samstar said:
Hi Maggie and the rest,

It's Marcus Langford.

http://www.startortoiseuk.co.uk/
It's also good to get others opinion

Thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.