Exploding light

seanwilson1

Help! One of my heat lamps just exploded. I guess it got sprayed from my new humidifier I bought for my leo. Now only having 1heat lamp, and the hood lights, my terrarium is achieving 21.8 on the basking side and 20 on the humid side. I just broke the bank buying an expensive humidifier. Will she be OK to wait until my next paycheck to get her another light!?!?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can just use an inexpensive regular incandescent light bulb for heat.

seanwilson1

Correction I have 22.8 on basking side. And the lamp says 150 watt lamp type "R" 150volts AC only and the only lights I have are 60watts

seanwilson1

But I dont want to burn out my fixture does anybody know for certain if it works?

That pop hurt my ears. And it was funneled down towards shelly :-( I feel sorry for her :-( must have hurt her. I didnt see her reaction cuz all my lights went out I thought I lost ALL power

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just go to the hardware store and get a fixture for about $15 and a flood bulb for about $5. This will hold you over and keep your tortoises warm until you sort out the rest. You'll have to estimate what wattage you'll need. Use your thermometer and adjust the fixture up or down to get the temp right.

seanwilson1

Thanks guys for ur speedy response!

Oh ya btw im talking celcius not farenhiet incase anyone just had a heart attack and thought it was -5 in my tank

My step father just told me that I can put a regular 60watt bulb so its a good quick fix 24 and still rising

seanwilson1

I even found an exo terra heating pad I had gotten for christmas but it was suposed to go on the bottom of the tank. But my tank is raised so it wouldnt work I mounted it on the side its now heating it up im back passed 30 degrees

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I have heard of lights explode, I think it was even a certain brand that it happened to repeatedly. I would take it back to the store you bought it at, and ask them for a refund. Then you can use the refund money for a replacement (of a different brand).

The temperature under the basking light should be 35 degrees C. Sounds like you are able to boost the temps with the heat pad until you get a replacement... it's actually good you didn't mount it from below. From the side is safer, as tortoises aren't wired to be careful of overheating from below.

I use regular household bulbs for daytime heat, and supplement with a tube-style UVB bulbs.

seanwilson1

This was definetly from water I was adjusting the sprayer and I sprayed the light heat built up and moister