Excuse the Interruption, We're Currently Undergoing Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyang333

5 Year Member
So I decided that enough was enough and Squishy needed a bigger place to call home. So this is what it was before the expansion:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here it is getting prepper for renovating:

The second bookshelf attached to the original, with part of the side sawed off:

And this is what I have so far completed!

Let me know what you think please + thank you.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Very nice!! He has so much more space now :) Lucky little tort!

gyang333

5 Year Member
thanks guys for your feedback and i just bought this Living World flexible wood sticks thing that I think is for hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits or whatever from PetSmart but I'm using that as the bridge to cross between the two bookshelves instead of the cardboard ghetto thing I had.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it looks great. You doubled his space.

I always worry about clamp lamps like that. I've had some near disasters, doing it that way and I know some people who have had disasters.

I like to hang them from over head.

Tortoisenerd has mentioned some adjustable lamp stands in a couple of her posts. Might that work for you?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking good! :) Is Squishy happy with it? Looks like he might be too big for his hide. ;)

gyang333

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I think it looks great. You doubled his space.

I always worry about clamp lamps like that. I've had some near disasters, doing it that way and I know some people who have had disasters.

I like to hang them from over head.

Tortoisenerd has mentioned some adjustable lamp stands in a couple of her posts. Might that work for you?

yeah i'm going to give them a try, but because the setup is on the ground, i'll need a stand that is very low from the ground. some of them i've seen work great because the setup was on a table or had a higher profile. but i will check it out.

Jacqui said:
Looking good! :) Is Squishy happy with it? Looks like he might be too big for his hide. ;)

lol yeah, that's his secondary hide. though it's turning into more of a secondary shell, he drags that one around with him all over the place. the bigger one is under the shelf with the leaves on top. i'm not sure if you can see that one well or not in the pictures. but that's his main one.

Jacqui said:

lol yeah, that's his secondary hide. though it's turning into more of a secondary shell, he drags that one around with him all over the place. the bigger one is under the shelf with the leaves on top. i'm not sure if you can see that one well or not in the pictures. but that's his main one.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Commander Squishy... OMG, I love it. My nephew's nickname is Squishy Squishy Squires (his name is Seth.) That name is soooo funny, lol.

Good job on the upgrade!!! I actually made a light stand out of a 2" X 4", it cost me about $3 with the wood and the hook to hang the light from. I'll snap a picture and post it. Took like 5 minutes to make, and was $17 or so cheaper than one of the store bought ones ;)

gyang333

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Commander Squishy... OMG, I love it. My nephew's nickname is Squishy Squishy Squires (his name is Seth.) That name is soooo funny, lol.

Good job on the upgrade!!! I actually made a light stand out of a 2" X 4", it cost me about $3 with the wood and the hook to hang the light from. I'll snap a picture and post it. Took like 5 minutes to make, and was $17 or so cheaper than one of the store bought ones ;)

yeah thanks. that would be great as I'm not exactly handy lol. that guy you see in the corner of one of the pictures, that's my landlord helping me out with the little bit of handywork that was required lol.

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
gyang333 said:
thanks guys for your feedback and i just bought this Living World flexible wood sticks thing that I think is for hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits or whatever from PetSmart but I'm using that as the bridge to cross between the two bookshelves instead of the cardboard ghetto thing I had.

That looks great. I am sure Squishy approves wholeheartedly.
I have some of those bendy stick things. They are so adaptable. They can be a hide, a bridge, a fence to break up the eyeline, all sorts of uses. You have done a really nice job !! Well done :)

gyang333

5 Year Member

I actually have a question, that picture doesn't depict it exactly, but the one side of the enclosure is very dark, since the lights are going the other way, I was wondering, should I get another clamp lamp, with like a 40 watt bulb pointed on the dark side so there is some light on that side?

gyang333 said:

I actually have a question, that picture doesn't depict it exactly, but the one side of the enclosure is very dark, since the lights are going the other way, I was wondering, should I get another clamp lamp, with like a 40 watt bulb pointed on the dark side so there is some light on that side?

the picture has it brighter than it actually is. the right side is much darker in real life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where does he usually hang out? He might like the dark side for a little rest and relaxation from time to time. I would try lighting it up and see if he changes his behavior a lot.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Where does he usually hang out? He might like the dark side for a little rest and relaxation from time to time. I would try lighting it up and see if he changes his behavior a lot.

he always hangs under the lights, even before the expansion. i purposely leave the food on the dark end, same with the water just so he has to venture over.
but he promptly goes back to the lighted end after eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That might mean he's not warm enough. What's the temp directly under the hottest part of the bulb? I always gave my russians a basking spot of at least 95-100. There are other more experienced keepers with russians here on the forum and hopefully they will correct me if I'm wrong. Ideally the tortoise should move all around the enclosure. If he's always far away from the basking spot it usually too hot. If he's always directly under the basking spot its probably not hot enough. If he just runs over, eats and come right back under the light and stays there all day, you ought to try lowering the bulb or upping the wattage.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Tom said:
That might mean he's not warm enough. What's the temp directly under the hottest part of the bulb? I always gave my russians a basking spot of at least 95-100. There are other more experienced keepers with russians here on the forum and hopefully they will correct me if I'm wrong. Ideally the tortoise should move all around the enclosure. If he's always far away from the basking spot it usually too hot. If he's always directly under the basking spot its probably not hot enough. If he just runs over, eats and come right back under the light and stays there all day, you ought to try lowering the bulb or upping the wattage.

I have him in my bedroom in my apartment and the air conditioner has been going all day and it's about 80 under the light right now and 73 on the dark end. even during the winter when it was 85~90 under the light he'd always stay under the light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well there you go. 80 is too cool. This could make him sick over the long term. He's got to be able to warm himself up more than that so that all of his bodily systems can function properly. Get that temp up to 100 and watch his activity level and vigor change. Does he ever get outside for some sun? That will help too. Let him bask outside on a warm day for a while and then measure the temp with an infared temp gun. It will be much higher than 80. I measured my two sulcatas one day. The outside temp was 69-72 all day and they were 95 and 98 from basking. I know its a different species, but my point is they need to be warmer than 80.

Up the wattage or hang those bulbs directly over head and lower them a bit.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Well there you go. 80 is too cool. This could make him sick over the long term. He's got to be able to warm himself up more than that so that all of his bodily systems can function properly. Get that temp up to 100 and watch his activity level and vigor change. Does he ever get outside for some sun? That will help too. Let him bask outside on a warm day for a while and then measure the temp with an infared temp gun. It will be much higher than 80. I measured my two sulcatas one day. The outside temp was 69-72 all day and they were 95 and 98 from basking. I know its a different species, but my point is they need to be warmer than 80.

Up the wattage or hang those bulbs directly over head and lower them a bit.

i took him out today for about an hour since it was so nice. he basked for about half the time and went into the shade the other half.

alright, yeah it only dipped below 85 today because of the AC going all day, which I don't usually do (though we'll see how summer goes).

so back to my original question, should i set up a lowwattage clamp lamp on the darker cool side?

and knowing that since during the hotter days of the summer I may run the AC round the clock, should I get a ceramic heat bulb?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
(Sorry I haven't gotten a pic of the lamp stand yet, I will do that today, I promise!!!)

I use regular 60 watt blacklight bulbs for nighttime heat. Much cheaper than a CHE and doesn't tick you off so bad when you have to replace it....

A two pack is less than $7 at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.