Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Plants for your Manouria can include Pathos (toxic to other tortoises, however it grows wild in Manouria country), Alocasia and Colocasia (types of elephant ear). Pathos is a house plant here in the states and you can buy them anywhere plants are sold. Just be sure to leach out all the fertilizers before planting them in your new habitat. The elephant ear or taro is usually sold in the Spring at the home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot. Sometimes you can buy them at a nursery. But if you look for them at the home improvement store, you find them as bulbs, while the nursery sells the growing plant. Bulbs don't have to be leached, but the plant would. But you would have to make your lid much higher to accommodate the elephant ear, as they grow very tall, with huge leaves. But it is a staple in the Manouria diet in their native land. Also banana tree. You might think about planting elephant ear and banana tree just outside the habitat instead of inside.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to look for the elaphant ears tomorrow, i have a few bannana trees already outside the enclosure, I'm thinking of making the lid higher, i just need to figure out he easiest way to do so while still making it not an eye sore, lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.