Enclosure Assistance Please

Dewey

Hello,

We are looking to improve our sulcata's enclosure and could use any help we can get.

Spike is 12 years old and we've had her since she was a baby. She currently lives in the backyard and has a shed with a pig blanket, heat lamp, and light. When it gets cold we close up her shed and cover it with a tarp to keep in the heat.

We have a cinder block wall to keep her in, but when she really wants she can easily push at it until she gets leverage to get over it. She has two trees which give her shade throughout the day and sunny areas she can sit in. We are going to extend her enclosure out to give her more room, but would like to have a plan before moving the cinder block wall.

We also have an issue when rats nesting under her house and have had to raise it a little to keep them out. I'm wondering if this is a normal issue.

I've included pictures and any help we can get would be amazing.

IMG_7667.JPG
This is Spike in her shed
IMG_7668.JPG
The inside (spring cleaning is coming up).

IMG_7671.JPG
The view from above.

IMG_7669.JPG

IMG_7670.JPG IMG_7672.JPG
The cinder block wall.

My dad is in love with her, but mom not so much (too much destruction). Anything we can do to make her life better would be super helpful.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Take a look at Toms threads of his nigh boxes. Yours don't have to be under ground like his is if you don't want. Also he has cinder block walls. Maybe @Tom can tell you how he placed them.
Also where are you located? If you get a lot of cold then you should build a large heated insulated shed. Tom lives in CA so he doesn't get as cold or long of winters like me in Illinois. I have a large heated shed for my leopards for winter.

Dewey

Take a look at Toms threads of his nigh boxes. Yours don't have to be under ground like his is if you don't want. Also he has cinder block walls. Maybe @Tom can tell you how he placed them.
Also where are you located? If you get a lot of cold then you should build a large heated insulated shed. Tom lives in CA so he doesn't get as cold or long of winters like me in Illinois. I have a large heated shed for my leopards for winter.
Thanks! I'll check out his post.

I am located in California. It doesn't get too cold here and usually her pig blanket and heat lamp are enough to keep her shed warm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I am located in California. It doesn't get too cold here and usually her pig blanket and heat lamp are enough to keep her shed warm.
Tom is also locate in CA and uses a radiant space heater and insulates his boxes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Where in CA? Different advice for someone in San Fran vs. Mojave.

You are going to need to sink posts into the ground and use 2x12s or plywood to make a wall that will contain him. If you buy a bunch of pressure treated 2x4 or 4x4s and cut them in half, you'll be all set for a long time. Sink the post 24" into the ground and 8' apart, then connect to each post with a section of your wall.

He needs a lot more space, and the shed and heating methods you are using are not adequate and are potentially dangerous. Over head lamps used in uninsulated houses over large tortoises like yours almost always damage the carapace, and still don't keep the tortoise warm enough. Here are a couple examples of what sort of night box to use. I've tried many other methods and all of those have evolved into this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He also needs grass and weeds to graze on. I'd get started on planting first before you open up the wall and let him out. Get the grass and weeds established before the demolisher comes out.