Embarking on Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

synspyder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kyoto, Japan
I've always been a lover of reptiles. I used to keep snakes and bearded dragons and they were the loves of my animal life. When my girlfriend and I moved to Japan I had to give them up though, because as much as I love them, I couldn't see them able to take a 10+ flight without difficulties. Fortunately I found someone who practically runs a dragon spa to look after them for me.

Over the holidays I went home and visited my dragons and let on to my girlfriend how much I missed them, and so she surprised me by buying a tortoise. He's the cutest little thing, a nine month old spur thigh with such bright intelligent eyes. Unfortunately, my girlfriend isn't used to caring for reptiles and spent all of the money on walnut shell bedding, coil UVB lights, a bulb that doesn't produce a lot of heat and a 5 gallon tank. The pet store owner wouldn't let her leave until she'd purchased the whole set.

From what I've researched, tortoise care isn't all that different from dragon care, so I have the knowledge but since coming home from my trip drained us financially the resources aren't available >_<

So, today we're going to go down to the recycle shop and grab a cheap bookshelf to lay flat without the shelves and use that as his vivarium for now. I'm thrilled that Reptile Supply ships to Japan, so I'll be buying MVBs and calcium and multi vitamin today, and picking up a 100 watt house bulb for heat. He has a little hide box, and his bedding is currently timothy hay and shredded news paper. He's eating and drinking and motoring around but he bubbles from his nose and he's got what looks like a bit of discharge in the corner of his left eye. I'm not sure if he's just stressed or if he's sick but we're going to work on giving him a proper set up, then take him to the vet if he doesn't clear up.

Aside from that, I'm thrilled to have him. He's really cute and curious. He'll pop out of his shell to check out new people and things after a few minutes and can really get going once he gets his little legs moving.

If anyone's got any advice for a first time tortoise owner, I'm all ears. Specifically are there any foods that he should stay away from? Like I said, I'm mostly going on my knowledge of dragons as far as care goes, so stay away from foods like spinach and tomato and others that bind calcium, avoid too many fruits (and too much protein) but are there specifically any plants that will make him ill?

Thank you so much!

By the way, his name is Punli. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi synspyder:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

So, am I understanding correctly that you live in Japan? Are you going to be able to take a tortoise back with you? There are pretty strict importation laws. You need to check. I'd hate to see your little tortoise stuck someplace in quarantine for months at a time.

When you say "spur thigh" you mean some sort of Graeca tortoise, right?

synspyder

5 Year Member
Kyoto, Japan
You can call me Nicky.

We're not moving back to Canada. We plan to stay in Japan indefinitely so no problem there. He is a greek tortoise, yes. We just moved him into his new book shelf home. We flipped it on it's side and nailed one of the shelves at the end to give him a hide/cold side. He bought him a 100 watt bulb for the warm side and chopped up some squash for him, which he happilly chomped down on before scooting back into the hide. His eye is clear today and I've been observing that he only blows bubbles when he's in an awkward/stressful environment, so maybe he's just got a bit of relocation stress. We just got him this week. He seems to like his new place, lots more room than the 5 gallon. It's about 18" X 3' so he'll need something bigger when he's older, as I understand it, but for now he's a tiny shell in a big space. The bird though is super stressed out by him.

Thanks for the food link! We' get him some veggies again tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.