Eggs for sale???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central TX
Does anyone know if there are any tortoise eggs for sale anywhere or ever? Haven't seen any ads. I am interested in learning how to incubate them. Thanks!

LT

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Lil' Tortie said:
Does anyone know if there are any tortoise eggs for sale anywhere or ever? Haven't seen any ads. I am interested in learning how to incubate them. Thanks!

LT

You can't ship or move turtle/tortoise eggs, it will kill the embryos inside. That's why you never see ads for them.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Oh no, that's the last thing I want to do is killing an embryo. That's ABORTION!!! :D Thanks, guess I would have to be patient until my torties get big. :)

LT

PATMAN said:
Lil' Tortie said:

LT

You can't ship or move turtle/tortoise eggs, it will kill the embryos inside. That's why you never see ads for them.

Dr. T

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lil' Tortie said:

LT

I have several tortoise eggs most are being incubated right now but the females have been laying like crazy. Where are you located? I am not sure how the eggs would do being shipped or if thats aloud. If its possible though let me know

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Unlike poutry eggs, in which the embryo is free-floating in white, in reptile eggs the embryo is attached to the eggshell.By turning the egg, the embryo will be torn lose this connection and either drownd or hemerrage. The eggs you see shipped are poultry, which can withstand shipping stresses but even this have no guarentee from seller. Everyone I know buys and sells day-old poultry for this reason.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
I don't know how they could be drowned since they are already absorbed in fluid, just like any other embryo, right?

Itort said:
Unlike poutry eggs, in which the embryo is free-floating in white, in reptile eggs the embryo is attached to the eggshell.By turning the egg, the embryo will be torn lose this connection and either drownd or hemerrage. The eggs you see shipped are poultry, which can withstand shipping stresses but even this have no guarentee from seller. Everyone I know buys and sells day-old poultry for this reason.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lil' Tortie said:
I don't know how they could be drowned since they are already absorbed in fluid, just like any other embryo, right?

More like suffocated (Not sure of that spelling!)

Yvonne

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As a side note it is completely possible to ship tortoise eggs and have them hatch. Sure there is a certain risk to each and every egg, but if any of you remember the HUGE number of CB Russian torts a few years ago it was because a single shipment of 3000 eggs came into the country. So not only were they shipped, but they were shipped internationally. The vast majority still hatched. I am not saying that I would ever promote the practice, but having seen it done it worked out just fine. Over 80% hatched. I would never have believed it if I did not see it. Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Not to turn this into a chat thread. Elegans, do you have any idea how far along the eggs where before they where shipped? I would think if they where 3/4 of the way formed it would be safer then earlier stages.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
All over the place some hatched out as soon as a couple of weeks after arrival, others must have just been layed as they took a couple of months. Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Status
Not open for further replies.