Egg Split

Dean Wirth

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Out of 4 eggs after 55 day (8 weeks minus 1 day) an egg split, the one egg I thought was pipping 2 days earlier, I lifted half the shell and there is a green turtle with a large yolk sac, I covered the turtle again with the shell and am just going to leave it at 28 Celcius 83 Farenhiet and hope for the best. one of the 4 eggs is small and brown. I hear turtles stay in the egg fo days after hatching, hopefully it will absorb its yolk.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
I think the turtle split the shell itself, it seems to be moving or shifting, I haven't seen movement but could swear it was in a different position yesterday. No sign of mold either. If it does survive it would be something. Nothing from the other three eggs yet. I have heard of premature babies surviving and hoping for the best.

Eric Zukowski

Just let it be and you should be ok. I have had the same thing happen before and they ended up being ok. It absorbed the yolk and crawled out when it was ready. Good luck

Dean Wirth

Alberta
unfortunately it died a after a few days. mold started to form on the exposed yolk and was compromising the air quality of the other eggs so I had to remove it. Too bad, waiting on the other 3 eggs now, they look ready. fingers crossed.