Eating too much??

Jaimy Miller

How much is too much?... My 13 lb male sulcata lives outside on roughly an acre of south texas weeds/grasses. He eats pretty much consistently for most of the daylight hours. I figure this is enough to sustain him, but my question is, is grazing all day too much? The only thing I supplement his diet with is one small baby pepper a week with some calcium inside. He's a sucker for bell peppers :) Also, I'm new to torts so how does his pyramiding look? He has a slight dent on his posterior shell. Thanks in advance!
tino.jpg

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome Jaimy , I don't think they can eat too much . I have always fed Speedy just a little more than he can consume since I have had him with no ill effects . Speedy has a small dent on the back of his shell , and I was advised that it is from too high of a temp. during incubation. It is a totally harmless slight deformity ! His pyramiding does not look all that bad to me !

Jaimy Miller

Hi and welcome Jaimy , I don't think they can eat too much . I have always fed Speedy just a little more than he can consume since I have had him with no ill effects . Speedy has a small dent on the back of his shell , and I was advised that it is from too high of a temp. during incubation. It is a totally harmless slight deformity ! His pyramiding does not look all that bad to me !
Thank you! I was concerned because I have read that eating too much is not good for them or their development. Tino was a rescue that was found out roaming about on his own about two months ago. I acquired him from a reptile rescue/friend near where I live.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think it's possible for them to eat too much, but it's usually when they're being fed versus grazing. It's unlikely for them for them to graze too much.

Jaimy Miller

I think it's possible for them to eat too much, but it's usually when they're being fed versus grazing. It's unlikely for them for them to graze too much.
This is what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thank you! I was concerned because I have read that eating too much is not good for them or their development. Tino was a rescue that was found out roaming about on his own about two months ago. I acquired him from a reptile rescue/friend near where I live.
He looks like he was well cared for , I would guess that somebody is missing him . I think when you consider the low nutritional quality of the bulk of their diet , it is no wonder that they eat quite a bit ! :)

Jaimy Miller

He looks like he was well cared for , I would guess that somebody is missing him . I think when you consider the low nutritional quality of the bulk of their diet , it is no wonder that they eat quite a bit ! :)
I don't doubt that someone does miss him. She kept him for a few days to see if anyone in the area would call her as she is a well known rescue around here. No one did