Dumb Question ?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
My wife finally found a place to buy Mazuri pellets, only 30 miles away ! That's what we get for retiring to the "sticks" ! ;) Anyway, they only sell it in 25 Lb. bags, and at 5 pellets every third day can it go bad before I am able to use it up ? I ran into this problem buying a large bag of dog food for our min Pin, it would turn rancid before he would eat it all. I by the smallest bag available for him now . :)

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks Gus, that sounds like a great idea ! Duh !! :rolleyes:

Your welcome. I have yet to see how long it can be frozen before it goes stale but I've had some in the freezer almost a year now and it's still good. I freeze it immediately after I open it. Then take out a couple pounds at a time and put that in the fridge. And use that to feed my tortoises.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Same here. They stopped manufacturing the 1lb bag.
I'm stuck with 25lbs and I tried paying my kids to fill freezer bags for me but they can't stand the smell of it.
I guess I need to grab a drink and just fill one bag at a time in front of the TV:)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Your welcome. I have yet to see how long it can be frozen before it goes stale but I've had some in the freezer almost a year now and it's still good. I freeze it immediately after I open it. Then take out a couple pounds at a time and put that in the fridge. And use that to feed my tortoises.

That makes perfect sense to me, I am having one of those "Gee why didn't I think of that" moments !
m01100.gif

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
The only dumb question is one not asked, in my opinion. Plus, you posting this helped me figure out how to better preserve my mazuri. I have just kept it in a large container in my closet. Too bad my freezer doesn't have space!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It can go bad, but it takes a long time. I had some in a cupboard for about a year, still looked and smelled good. Freezing some of it will make it last longer. Have you considered buying smaller amounts from online sellers? Here on the forum Amazon and Ebay.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It can go bad, but it takes a long time. I had some in a cupboard for about a year, still looked and smelled good. Freezing some of it will make it last longer. Have you considered buying smaller amounts from online sellers? Here on the forum Amazon and Ebay.

Nope ! Feel free to call me paranoid, but I just recently canceled my last credit card . I figure if they can hack the federal government I wont be putting any credit card numbers online ! But that's just me . :)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I buy the regular Mazuri from Amazon. The nuggets not pellets(LS). mine(many people tortoises actually) won't touch the pellets. This is what most love. Someone here on the forum sells it cheaper...I've bought from them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is why I use the chase liquid card for online purchases. If it gets hacked, no.great loss.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I think that's the one pound bag or two. Seems to expensive when you can buy 25lbs for 30 bucks.
Yes. I don't buy the little bag amy more...my babies got a little bigger and I added a 6 pound Leo to the household....amazon has larger quantities..

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I bought the 50 pound bag about 9 months ago. I put it into gallon sized bags and froze all but one. I keep that one in a cool, dry cabinet inside the house and it is still good. I think it was less than $40 on sale from mazuri's own website.