Dr. Cosmonaut's RFs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Dr. Cosmonaut used to be on the Forum all the time. He's a young man who was going to college in Oregon. Then he graduated, got married, and took a temporary assignment, teaching, in China. I have been caring for his RF tortoises, Millie and Gertie, for about 2 years now. They live outside year round, in heated habitats during the winter, and in the 'rain forest' in warm weather. I have a real hard time telling the sex of RF tortoises. Here are some pictures. Tell me what you think. I'm thinking the bigger one, on the left, is male and the other is female.

Redfooted tortoises 9-15-14.jpg redfooted tortoises b 9-15-14.jpg redfooted tortoises c 9-15-14.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are females . The one on the left is a female the one on the right has a small tail so I'm saying female .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Really? You're probably correct, Mike, as I never see any breeding activity. I was looking at the previous thread I made about this pair (My...er...I mean...Dr. Cosmonaut's redfoots) which was written in 2011 and the smaller one has done quite a lot of growing since that thread. I'll have to amend my thinking on how long I've had them. Looks like I may have had them 3 or 4 years.

What do you look for? On other species, I look for the shape of the anal scutes, the size/length of the tail and the placement of the cloaca in the tail...sometimes even the gular. But on the RF tortoises these identifiers don't seem to match up.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Really? You're probably correct, Mike, as I never see any breeding activity. I was looking at the previous thread I made about this pair (My...er...I mean...Dr. Cosmonaut's redfoots) which was written in 2011 and the smaller one has done quite a lot of growing since that thread. I'll have to amend my thinking on how long I've had them. Looks like I may have had them 3 or 4 years.

What do you look for? On other species, I look for the shape of the anal scutes, the size/length of the tail and the placement of the cloaca in the tail...sometimes even the gular. But on the RF tortoises these identifiers don't seem to match up.

I agree with Mike. Clearly females. Northerns due to plastral markings. Male redfoots have a demonstrative tail and thickened anal scutes.
Female anal scutes (clearly seen on specimen on left) are rounded to allow for egg clearance. It's hard to see the tail clearly on the one on the right
and the anal scutes are not so rounded but most likely female. What size are they?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I would have guessed the one on the right male, the other female. You will have to keep us updated if and when there is a clear sign of who is what.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow, I would have guessed the one on the right male, the other female. You will have to keep us updated if and when there is a clear sign of who is what.

the one on the right has some pinching of the waist and since I can't see the tail clearly could suggest male but northern females can display some constriction at the waist as well -
the pinching of the waist can be profound in northern males -
Yvonne didn't tell us the size which could be determinative

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
the one on the right has some pinching of the waist and since I can't see the tail clearly could suggest male but northern females can display some constriction at the waist as well -
the pinching of the waist can be profound in northern males -
Yvonne didn't tell us the size which could be determinative
Yes, I did notice that. I also have seen Jeff's RF females having the hour glass shape. However, it kinda looks more like a shell deformity more them a natural hour glass shaping. Wish the other side were showing.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, I did notice that. I also have seen Jeff's RF females having the hour glass shape. However, it kinda looks more like a shell deformity more them a natural hour glass shaping. Wish the other side were showing.

I agree the little one's shell is somewhat distorted but the last shot (where btw the tortoises' positions have been switched left to right) shows a contour and flaring to the carapace that looks natural at least on her left side - notice I said her - still go with female without a better look at the tail

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I look at the tail . The placement of the cloaca . Female's have fat tails with the cloaca close to the end . Male's have long pointed tails with the cloaca set back a bit . The one on the right could be male but I don't thinks so as of now . If you can get a better shot of the tail I could be more informative .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The one on the Left is FEMALE ...... I need a better shot of the other one ....but it looks female too!
Here is a large Northern Female....

Male

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That makes me fill like I've learned a thing or two about my reds .