Does it bother you when people bump old threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
It seems that on some forums, including this one, bumping old threads is discouraged. From my perspective, though, as long as a topic is not closed, it should be open to discussion. What do you think?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think when people, especially newbies bump old threads it show's that they are really invested in delving into and getting all the info they can from the forum.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I agree with tortoisemom if it is not a closed topic it is suppose to be open for discussion still! :D i bump.......like new but threads thare are the bottom of the list if it is an important message or question someone asked i bump it back to the top! :/

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It depends on the thread. If Apple Fritter comes in here two months ago asking for help deciding which tortoise he should get that weekend two months ago, then what was the point? His question was answered long ago and no longer is a valid question. Now if you want to get the debate or question going again, why not just start a new thread?

Bringing back to life a thread where you want to know..."the rest of the story" is a fine example of where I think bringing back an old thread is fine.

Yes, today I did point out that two threads were old ones. I didn't say, "Hey folks don't post to this old thread". That was left to the people. Sometimes, okay often folks will not notice it is an old question and will give heartfelt questions or get all worked up. I think pointing out to members that hey this is old, allows a member to make a more informed choice to reply or not to the thread.

Another thing to consider is this, if we start bumping a lot of old threads, often a new question which needs responses now will get missed. Yes that does happen, when we get a lot of active threads going.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it bothers me, because I almost NEVER notice the date on the original post and it usually fools me into thinking its a new thread. Then as I scroll down and see that I responded already, I will notice the date. And like Jacqui said, more than likely the original poster's question was answered and there's no need to continue the thread.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Unofficial Bump

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
No problem bumping threads as long as forum mods and admins close "Question Threads" that have been answered.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I wish some of the older/closed threads were not locked and availalble for further contributions, opinions, and more perspectives.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think if it was a question thread and the question was answered a month or so ago then it should be closed.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
ALDABRAMAN said:
I wish some of the older/closed threads were not locked and availalble for further contributions, opinions, and more perspectives.

I agree, and made this case long ago........but lost. I aslo think that digging thru old threads shows your interested in getting answers. Creating new similar threads just clutters the database and makes finding the answers more difficult. Its also brings to the surface expertise of older members that may no longer participate in the forum as they once did.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Guggie said:
[writes note in calendar to reply "yes" in 30 days]

Ha ha ha! :D

Actually, what puzzles me is why a topic started a month ago is considered an "older thread." When I think of an older thread, I think of something discussed half-a-year ago or more. A thread only a month or two old still seems fresh to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never noticed this being discouraged here.

I rather like it when an oldie, but goodie comes around again.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
A while back I asked about showing the thread created date along side the last post date. Wouldn't that tell everyone if the thread was new or old and fix the problem?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Guggie said:
A while back I asked about showing the thread created date along side the last post date. Wouldn't that tell everyone if the thread was new or old and fix the problem?

It might help, but I still think the majority will even fail to look at that. We want to be so very helpful, that we rush to see the post and then reply to it. We just don't think to stop and look at the dates. ...and am not saying that is bad, it's great that we try to help in a quickly timely way.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
If someone has something to say that relates to the thread or has quetions then i havent got a problem whats so ever, I personally bumped a thred the other day as i wanted a question answered, i think it was one of If someone has something to say that relates to the thread or has quetions then i havent got a problem whats so ever, I personally bumped a thred the other day as i wanted a question answered, i think it was one of yours Geo. It was about a tort peeing a blood coloured liquid.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
bikerchicspain said:
If someone has something to say that relates to the thread or has quetions then i havent got a problem whats so ever, I personally bumped a thred the other day as i wanted a question answered, i think it was one of yours Geo. It was about a tort peeing a blood coloured liquid.

Yep, I saw that, and I was glad you did. If we already have a thread about possible blood in the pee, might as well keep using it. In my case, it turned out to be just dandelion pigment in the urine, but in your case it could be more serious. Good bump there.

Status
Not open for further replies.