Does a colorful RF parents produces colorful hatchling?

huntertao

10 Year Member!
Hi all,

I currently have one colorful adult female Cherryhead Redfoot, now I am looking to get an adult male to start breeding, but the prices for a colorful adult in my country is a lot steeper than a generic ones.

First of all, I love them all, vibrant or not, but I'm just curious if a colorful parents means the hatchling will be as nice and vibrant as they do? does it matter if parents are not both colorful?

Also, will two generic parents be able to produce a colorful hatchling?

Thank you in advance !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi all,

I currently have one colorful adult female Cherryhead Redfoot, now I am looking to get an adult male to start breeding, but the prices for a colorful adult in my country is a lot steeper than a generic ones.

First of all, I love them all, vibrant or not, but I'm just curious if a colorful parents means the hatchling will be as nice and vibrant as they do? does it matter if parents are not both colorful?

Also, will two generic parents be able to produce a colorful hatchling?

Thank you in advance !
That might indicate colorful babies. But it could take several generations of selective breeding. And a lot of pure luck too.
Please be warned that you will need two separate enclosures for two Redfoot. They should not be forced to live together.
The only other option would be to keep a single male in a HUGE enclosure with hiding areas and at least three females. This will likely spread out the pursuit of just one female 24/7.
This is really only possible to do outdoors because of the space required. I can't see your location. Is an outside enclosure possible?

huntertao

10 Year Member!
That might indicate colorful babies. But it could take several generations of selective breeding. And a lot of pure luck too.
Please be warned that you will need two separate enclosures for two Redfoot. They should not be forced to live together.
The only other option would be to keep a single male in a HUGE enclosure with hiding areas and at least three females. This will likely spread out the pursuit of just one female 24/7.
This is really only possible to do outdoors because of the space required. I can't see your location. Is an outside enclosure possible?
Hi, ZEROPILOT

I'm from Thailand, I do have an outdoor enclosure available, with 4 females inside (which were raised from a juveniles, only to find out they are all female), so I'm actually on the look out for a male Cherryhead. I guess I can expand the enclosure more if necessary, as I have no plan on any other construction in the yard.

A fellow keeper/breeder was talking to me the other day about his hatchling being super red and pretty thanks to the parents he gathered, but biology and genes stuffs are too complicate for me to work out hehe, so I'm on the fence about whether to invest into getting a pricey vibrant male, or just a cheaper regular one.

Does a parent's redness/colorfulness sticks to their genes? or randomly? I just don't quite understand.

Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, ZEROPILOT

I'm from Thailand, I do have an outdoor enclosure available, with 4 females inside (which were raised from a juveniles, only to find out they are all female), so I'm actually on the look out for a male Cherryhead. I guess I can expand the enclosure more if necessary, as I have no plan on any other construction in the yard.

A fellow keeper/breeder was talking to me the other day about his hatchling being super red and pretty thanks to the parents he gathered, but biology and genes stuffs are too complicate for me to work out hehe, so I'm on the fence about whether to invest into getting a pricey vibrant male, or just a cheaper regular one.

Does a parent's redness/colorfulness sticks to their genes? or randomly? I just don't quite understand.

Thank you!
Your location is a big bonus!
You're very fortunate.
And yes. I would strongly assume that brightly colored parents would be much more likely to hatch spectacular babies. Most of that IS genetics.
I just wouldn't expect EVERY baby born to them to be spectacular. Also because of genetics.
I'm also not a breeder. So I'm not going to even try to give you what I think the percentage would be. But in general. The babies should all look nicer than average.

huntertao

10 Year Member!
Your location is a big bonus!
You're very fortunate.
And yes. I would strongly assume that brightly colored parents would be much more likely to hatch spectacular babies. Most of that IS genetics.
I just wouldn't expect EVERY baby born to them to be spectacular. Also because of genetics.
I'm also not a breeder. So I'm not going to even try to give you what I think the percentage would be. But in general. The babies should all look nicer than average.
Thank you, I guess I'll just have to go for it :)