Do you guys separate your torts during feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if this is just a turtle thing, but do you separate your torts during feeding time?

I always put them in separate containers during feeding so I can make sure everyones eatting the same amount.

EDIT: Oppz can someone move this to the Food and Diet section. I meant to post it there.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
moved thread.

i feed all the same species in the same area at the same time for torts.

however, with turts--- ive had to feed them individually to make sure they all get enough worms and crickets (so the food doesnt crawl away).

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
It depends some of my torts eat together with no problems but others seem to want to hog it all. those I feed seperately so they don't over-eat and so the others get their share. One tort I had to seperate out, funny first as a young hatchling he would not eat so I placed him in with two others and because of the compation he began to eat. Then he became the bully and I had to seperate him from the others because he couldn't let them eat. Now he lives alone. Sometimes they are just silly tort. But keeping a close eye on them and wts and measures by weekly or monthly help.

S

stells

I have had to seperate Horsfields at feeding times before now... but mostly its not a problem as long as everyone is getting their share...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my tortoises are already divided by species and then by similar size. I feed each species/size group together, within their own enclosures. I do make an effort to ensure that every tortoise is eating at each feeding. I've never had any problems.

samstar

5 Year Member
Today I saw my bigger Star try to nip at the smaller one while eating. First time I'm seeing this.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
samstar said:
Today I saw my bigger Star try to nip at the smaller one while eating. First time I'm seeing this.

Don't worry mine did this at the begnning, they would rota who would bite who first - lol I separated their feeding spots, one each side of the enclosure with something in between so they didn't see each other. Did this for a few weeks, probably more like two months, and now they both eat quite happly together.

samstar

5 Year Member
George said:
samstar said:

Don't worry mine did this at the begnning, they would rota who would bite who first - lol I separated their feeding spots, one each side of the enclosure with something in between so they didn't see each other. Did this for a few weeks, probably more like two months, and now they both eat quite happly together.

Could this be signs of a male?

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
samstar said:
George said:
samstar said:

Could this be signs of a male?

mine are both female so go figure!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While I don't separate mine, I DO offer food in several locations in the habitat so they don't all gang up so much. One of my Red-foots has a habit of climbing on the food while eating, and the bug guy will snap at someone eyeballing his food.

I also hide food whenever I can- things that won't make too big a mess without a plate, or if they are not found for a bit- strawberries, mushrooms, chunks of squash, worms, etc. Some of them explore and sometimes they just get found by accident. Lots of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.