Do my tortoise's squeaks necessarily indicate a health problem?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
I combined this question with my last post asking about her poops. I've received responses about her poops, but no one's written about the squeaking, which tells me I should ask only one question at a time.

Intermittently my 3 year old California desert tortoise vocalizes in little squeaks.

This happens maybe once or twice a week.

She seems to do this when startled, or when "protesting" at being removed from her hide, On one or two occasions she has looked up at me and squeaked as if she wanted something--food, perhaps?

Someone in another online venue told me that what I describe is odd and that it might indicate she has contracted the respiratory disease common in desert tortoises living in captivity.

I've watched for bubbling at her nostrils, and not seen it.

Do tortoises ever squeak in startlement, protest, or as a signal they want or need something?

The squeaks seem awfully cute, along with the the "tiny tortoise hickeys "she occasionally gives me when she "snuggles" under my chin, but if the squeaks indicate an incipient illness, :( I'd better face it.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the nostrils are clear, no bubbles, and appetite and behavior are normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure temps are warm.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ive seen/heard a squeak or two if our Sully (when smaller) got scared and quickly pulled it’s head in. In the quick intake, a “squeak” was heard. Ive read it’s possible the squeak is just the quick release of air exhaled while pulling in the head. Does ur squeak seem like it is happening if/when startled? If so, probably nothing.

Like Tom says make sure temps are good.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Ive seen/heard a squeak or two if our Sully (when smaller) got scared and quickly pulled it’s head in. In the quick intake, a “squeak” was heard. Ive read it’s possible the squeak is just the quick release of air exhaled while pulling in the head. Does ur squeak seem like it is happening if/when startled? If so, probably nothing.

Like Tom says make sure temps are good.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thanks for your reply! Yes, Cholla definitely squeaks the most often when startled. Once she gave a series of two big squeaks when being removed from her "burrow" to come inside for the night.

A couple times, however, she's just looked up at me and squeaked for no clear reason. I had the impression that she wanted something, food or attention or what have you. Her head was fully extended and she was looking up at me from her outdoor enclosure. It was two rather loud squeaks. Her mouth was open and it certainly appeared that she was actually vocalizing.

Have you ever heard of a tortoise exhibiting such behavior?

Thanks again. I think the temps are okay, though I'm always glad for input. At night, indoors, her enclosure is in the 70's.