"directing" tortoise into a homemade 'tunnel' to get to his enclosure?

bitcoin-tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
maybe the pics will help. we have a 35 year old 60ish pounds? male sulcattta tortoise named Harold in Phoenix, AZ. We bought our home 5 years ago, previous owners had 2 tortoises and a burrow which we used for our tortoise. He took to the new home right away almost 5 years ago when we got him.

This backside of our property we are going to clear out (except for tortoise burrow) - to have a pool, outdoor kitchen, etc. all construction would be far enough from Harold's burrow My question is how can we accomodate our tortoise? He comes out from his burrow and crosses the rocky gravel to go to the yard where he has an acre of grass to munch on everyday. Any ideas on how to maybe trench out of build a tunnel from the grass in the yard (the purple line in the picture) to the enclosure? Idea being that we will build around his enclosure but want to have a way for him to get from his enclosure to the yard to eat. Any thoughts or how to get Harold from his home following that red line picture and emerge in the grass? We live in phoenix arizona and it rains like 2 weeks a year. In theory Harold would be travelling underneath decking or something follwing that red line through the tunnel and come out in his box. Did I describe accurately what we want? we would be walking over the tunnel or maybe even just a deep trench and then have a walkway over it or something? Looking for ideas on how to keep his home intact. the chicken coop and planter boxes will be relocated to the side of our property

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
maybe the pics will help. we have a 35 year old 60ish pounds? male sulcattta tortoise named Harold in Phoenix, AZ. We bought our home 5 years ago, previous owners had 2 tortoises and a burrow which we used for our tortoise. He took to the new home right away almost 5 years ago when we got him.

This backside of our property we are going to clear out (except for tortoise burrow) - to have a pool, outdoor kitchen, etc. all construction would be far enough from Harold's burrow My question is how can we accomodate our tortoise? He comes out from his burrow and crosses the rocky gravel to go to the yard where he has an acre of grass to munch on everyday. Any ideas on how to maybe trench out of build a tunnel from the grass in the yard (the purple line in the picture) to the enclosure? Idea being that we will build around his enclosure but want to have a way for him to get from his enclosure to the yard to eat. Any thoughts or how to get Harold from his home following that red line picture and emerge in the grass? We live in phoenix arizona and it rains like 2 weeks a year. In theory Harold would be travelling underneath decking or something follwing that red line through the tunnel and come out in his box. Did I describe accurately what we want? we would be walking over the tunnel or maybe even just a deep trench and then have a walkway over it or something? Looking for ideas on how to keep his home intact. the chicken coop and planter boxes will be relocated to the side of our property
I don't have any ideas but your tortoise is adorable and I love that picture. 🤗Too cute.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't make a tunnel that was covered. If he got in there and didn't want to come out, it would be very hard for you to get him out.
A trench with sides lined with wood or fencing or cement, so he couldn't climb up the sides would work. Then you could put a human bridge over whatever section you need too, to get too the other side.