Different beddings to use for Red Foot.

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
Currently I am using cypress mulch for a bedding. But, I do not really like or enjoy the look of it. So, I am looking for another type of bedding that I could use and that would be safe and good for him.

Any thoughts of what I could use that would be suitable for my Red Foot will be greatly appreciated!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use just 100% organic peat moss for my box turtles. You could give that a try. It's messy which bothers some people but I'm ok with it.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I use coco coir and organic garden soil, then I get sheet moss and cover half of the enclosure with it, including hides. It allows me to keep the enclosure humid but not wet, in my dry climate. I also have hundreds of worms in the enclosure too prove the soil.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I like littleginsus suggestion. In my redfoots inside, closed chamber I have a layer of orchid bark covered with a layer of garden soil and dry moss in his "house". In my outdoors pens I use ground up cypress mulch with soil on top.`There is hay in his dog house.

Huntington Beach, California
I use spaghnum moss at the moment which works great for my lil hatchling to keep his humidity up. I also just picked up a bag of peat moss, and i have some other stuff I might try out the next time I need to change his bedding. What I really like about the spaghnum moss, is when it gets dirty you can take it out , rinse it, ring it out and re-use it for a bit.

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
I use coco coir and organic garden soil, then I get sheet moss and cover half of the enclosure with it, including hides. It allows me to keep the enclosure humid but not wet, in my dry climate. I also have hundreds of worms in the enclosure too prove the soil.

I'm curious about your setup. How do the worms help the enclosure? Are they just nightcrawlers that you'd find at a bait shop?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I'm curious about your setup. How do the worms help the enclosure? Are they just nightcrawlers that you'd find at a bait shop?

I purchase European Nightcrawlers from carolinapetsuuply.com, they keep the soil clean and improve the soil do I can grow stuff in the enclosure. Plus, my babies will munch on them if one surfaces. I also have pill bugs to eat the little gnats and they help with enclosure clean up. Both critters eat poop and any food leftovers that evade me when I spot clean their enclosure.

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
What a great way to create a self-sustaining habitat! I've had issues with fungus gnats in the past. I didn't know that there were any options other than baking or tossing out all of my infested substrate. I've had issues with my redfoot uprooting any plants in her enclosure, so I pretty much gave up planting anything directly in the soil.

DanaMM

5 Year Member
I was thinking of buying some worms and pill bugs myself. I live in Western PA, though, and I am wondering if it's too cold to do that now. Any idea how resilient they are?