Determining Age Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi there everyone! I know this may be a stupid question, but how can you figure out age of a baby tortoise? Is there a conversion like 1 inch=( ) How big are they when they hatch?

When I go into pet stores and ask they are so clueless they have no idea on age, where it came from, or even what it is sometimes!!

I'm new to Tortoises. I'm getting a baby hermann's tort in a few days probably will be 1-2 inches. (I like to know how old all my babies are.) I've got everything set up and bought my greens today. So excited! Thanks for your help!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Eastern Hermann's tortoises are typically 1 1/8-1 3/8" when born. A 2" one could be anywhere from 4 months to a year old depending on what conditions it was raised. If it was fed a high volume of food that was rich in vitamins and kept very warm all the time it will likely have grown faster than if fed a lower nutrient diet and kept are temperatures that varied from day to night as they should. Hydration plays an important part in their early growth also. Some people have year old tortoises that are 2" or slightly larger. Some have year old tortoises that are over 3". Smooth, proportionate growth is what to strive for.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Wow, there are many factors! I ordered my hermann's online...so finding that information is impossible. Idealy if I could get one from someone local I would be able to find everything out. I scoured Pennysavers/Traders guides here and asked around and everyone is pretty clueless! My area is so terrible and the pet chains here have red foots all the time and occassionally Russians. So I am limited.

GBtortoises...that's interesting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.