Dessert Tortoise Dad, new to forum :)

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I heard the mvb lights are super touchy and will blood easy with little movements, is this right, how are they for you?
I don't think they're very touchy. Hang them so they are pointing straight down and not horizontal. I think it is important though not to jostled them a lot and move them around more than you have to. Once they are up and adjusted to the correct height then leave them alone. Sometimes people think they burn out quickly because they turn them off and then turn them right back on and nothing happens. It takes them a while to come back on so wait a while before you attempt to turn them back on. I hope that sentence made sense.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi, I cleaned aindoor artificial uva and uvb is not as imperatve. As the tortoise grows will you set himd reworked his tank to have a humid cave/hive at one end of the tank. Sadly I have been working a ton and left him in the care of my brother and he wasn't getting him outside much, but he is under 2 UVB lights. But now I am working from home again so now he is going outside at least once a day for anywhere between 30 min to a hour at a time and he is still under the UVB lights while in his tank. His norm daily food changes from week to week, like one week he will have a mix of Bermuda grass, dandelion greens, carrots and kale. The next week he will have a mix of collard greens, grape leaves, green beans and alfalfa. It just really depends on what I can find organically that week, and he gets between 4oz to 6oz a day.
If you are now getting the tort outside daily for an hour then I would not worry about artificial uva and uvb bulbs with the same urgenfy as previously. As the tort grows he can then transition to outdoor living..and since he naturally brumates winter set up can be simple..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Keith, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your torts.

Keith D.

Arizona
A good place to go is www.donsdeserttortoise.

You will want to avoid completely enclosed wet chambers for this species..a warm humid hide is a better choice...how often does this tortoise get outdoors in the natural sun..what is a normal days food for him as well..
Hey Angela, how do you get your signature so long?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey Angela, how do you get your signature so long?

The Forum used to be run on a different program. When it was switched to this format the signatures can't be big pictures or too much wording. If one had a long signature or a big picture in their signature in the old format, it's been grandfathered in. If they ever make a change the program will not allow the big signature again.

Keith D.

Arizona
The Forum used to be run on a different program. When it was switched to this format the signatures can't be big pictures or too much wording. If one had a long signature or a big picture in their signature in the old format, it's been grandfathered in. If they ever make a change the program will not allow the big signature again.
That stinks lol, ty though :)