Danger!!! (rats??)

Kartik

Can a small rat or mice or a big rat harm my star while its roaming in the home??usually I always keep check that rats don't come in my house but currently my house is under construction..so rats creep in easily.. I trap and throw them away..after 1 or 2 days they again come but they will not come after the construction is over..so plz advise me..and yes my tort's size is that of a palm..

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Rats more then mice can harm torts. Be careful it can be deadly especially at that size. I have seen some snakes killed by rats.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Unfortunately, I've seen a very large rabbit taken down by rats.
rats are very smart and very willing to eat anything if they're hungry.
Make sure that you place the traps up above ground level. (Safe for your tortoise.)

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Could you not keep her somewhere safe rather then let her roam? It would be safer for it locked away and no chance of being hurt by builders or materials either.

Kartik

Hey how can I keep my tort confined in one place..u know what..I have purchased my tort from Bhopal,India which us and can be regarded as one of thebirthplaces of stars..as its a mountainous area..my 5-6 relatives have stars there and their torts roam the whole day inside or in the lawn of their house..it has been two yes that their torts are healthy and haven't faced any accident..although I keep my tort in his home but I let him roam in my house for at least 3-4 hrs according to his wish and how can a living wild creature be kept confined the whole day..its in their blood to roam freely in the jungle..I will keep a check on rats but..after my hose 's construction is over I am surely going to let him roam in my house..provided there aren't any rats....

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Well you know best, not sure why you asked advice as you don't seem to want to hear the responses. Yes your tortoise can be killed by a rat, you can't stop them getting in and you don't want to put your tortoise in a safe environment until you can be sure the building is secure. Not much more anyone can say really.

Kartik

OK..I will leave him on the ground only under my supervision..and I will keep him more in his tank...thanks all....the rat is trapped..now I will go and leave him in the park..away from my tort..

J

JohnMcFisher

To defeat mice i use rat trap, but be careful, if you put any poison bait in the trap. Just watch your pet better, and mice will be gone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey how can I keep my tort confined in one place..u know what..I have purchased my tort from Bhopal,India which us and can be regarded as one of thebirthplaces of stars..as its a mountainous area..my 5-6 relatives have stars there and their torts roam the whole day inside or in the lawn of their house..it has been two yes that their torts are healthy and haven't faced any accident..although I keep my tort in his home but I let him roam in my house for at least 3-4 hrs according to his wish and how can a living wild creature be kept confined the whole day..its in their blood to roam freely in the jungle..I will keep a check on rats but..after my hose 's construction is over I am surely going to let him roam in my house..provided there aren't any rats....
I doubt there are very many members on here who recommend allowing tortoises to roam around on the floor of the house. There are just too many dangers. Only this a.m. I read a post made by a new member who accidentally stepped on his tortoise's leg. Plus they can eat fuzz, little bits of plastic, etc. You can buy a raised flower bed set up and make a habitat for the tortoise similar to this:

c168d3ffaea98406c6b407e69e7cce32--tortoise-house-tortoise-habitat.jpg

or this:

d1e7b73c3f77d50924665a27a61057d0--tortoise-habitat-sulcata-tortoise.jpg

or this:

797ed37457312b5300c146766f61c033.jpg