Dandelions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I was wondering what parts of a dandelion a Russian tortoise can eat, because I read they should only eat the green part. But then I saw videos of tortoises eating the yellow petals as well. I'm really confused, and it's almost warm weather here so they will be sprouting soon.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Think about what they do when humans aren't around. They just mow down edible plants to the ground. That includes leaves, stems, and flowers. Pretty much everything but the roots is fair game for them. And each different part of the plant offers a different blend of nutrients and flavors. :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Think about what they do when humans aren't around. They just mow down edible plants to the ground. That includes leaves, stems, and flowers. Pretty much everything but the roots is fair game for them. And each different part of the plant offers a different blend of nutrients and flavors. :)

I like how you put that! :D

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
What about the roots? I know soemone said everything is free game but the roots, what if I got the dandelions to hand feed, would the roots be okay?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
hunterk997 said:
What about the roots? I know soemone said everything is free game but the roots, what if I got the dandelions to hand feed, would the roots be okay?

Well, tortoises typically eat what's above the ground (stems, leaves, and flowers), and don't usually dig for roots. To answer your question, though, there's nothing wrong with pulling up a dandelion - roots and all - and offering it to your tortoise. However, your tortoise would probably just avoid for the roots, particularly if they still had some soil on them. If your tortoise did happen to ingest some roots, they would not really be harmful, again as long as they don't have a lot of soil clinging to them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you watch a tort graze, they generally will graze a bit here and there...almost assuring that they leave some to re grow to regraze....I would only cut from the rosette the leaves and "some" of the flowers if grazing for your tort and presenting to them (leave some of the flowers so they will puff and spread the next seasons seeds..the leaves and the flower are all good....dandelion actually can be use to make wine, so let them eat all of the hooch flowers they want....good stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.