cypress mulch stink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
does you cypress mulch stink? i mist my mulch everyday and every weekend i mix it around and pour some water and it seems to stink up my tortoise room, is there anything i can do for the smell? i currently have automatic air freshners and it still stinks, thanks

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
As long as I keep the torty poo picked out of the mulch, mine is odorless. I keep my mulch really wet. I guess if I got a batch that was stinky, I might get rid of it and replace it.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Ok do you keep a lot of water in it? Like can you dig a hole and see water in the bottom? I have my mulch about 8 inches deep so they can dig and i mad them hills.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I do see water in mine, but only right after pouring water in. If I check it later in the day I can't see any since all the water gets soaked up into the cypress.

You don't want to float the cypress in water, rather you want to put enough water that the cypress sucks it all up. I've noticed that my cypress changes color a little bit. When it's dry it's a dusty/tannish color but when I get it wet it takes on a darker, reddish tone. Recently I had an electrician stop and admire the torts (he has turtles himself) on his way out of the house and he said "oh, I never thought to use redwood mulch..." :) I can tell by looking at it whether or not it's too dry. When it dries out I get a big pitcher of water (maybe even 2, it's a big table) and pour it out over the whole thing. If you have one of the big plastic watering pails (that is clean of course) then you can use that to pour water on your table without making a mess of things.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
kewl, thats what i do but i can see it in the bottom i guess i put to much water in my enclosure. And i causes a mildew smell.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I should also clarify, I can only see the water if I dig down to the bottom. Mildew smell is not normal. Do you spot clean the substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. If you see standing water after a few minutes of adding water, then you have too much in there. Cypress mulch smells clean and fresh, even after being used for months.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
i dont see the water unless i dig to the bottom remember i have 8 inches of mulch. and i only see like a 1/4" of water

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Gosh I have had mine in for maybe six months. I spot clean at least twice a day and it has no odor. I am very sensitive to smells.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I would change it out, you could have an underlying issue with the much itself.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I've had no problems with smell in my cypress.

Make sure that your temperatures are warm enough, if you are getting a moldy smell, to much water along with cool temps will definitely increase the chances of mold.

I would cut back on the amount of water you are using and make sure to "stir it up" in the mulch, that way all of the layers are being hydrated enough.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I got a question about the Cypress Mulch...At lowes, their bags say "Cypress Mulch Blend" and i asked the guy that works out their what is it blended with? and he said nothing its just Cypress Mulch. Should i buy it or should i get a bag that doesn't say "Blend" on it?

M

Maggie Cummings

jagsrule100 said:
I got a question about the Cypress Mulch...At lowes, their bags say "Cypress Mulch Blend" and i asked the guy that works out their what is it blended with? and he said nothing its just Cypress Mulch. Should i buy it or should i get a bag that doesn't say "Blend" on it?

I would get the name of the company that makes it and call them. You need to find out blended with what...if it's pine or cedar you don't want it. Pine is toxic for tortoises...

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
jagsrule100 said:

If you have the choice then get the bag that doesn't say mix on it. Much safer that way, and unless I'm mistaken mulch mix ingredients vary based on what sorts of wood or deals on woods are available for cheap to the company.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
It depends, I would find the name on it and go to the manufactuer website or call them and ask. My bag I got said blend as well but according to their site it's basically the entire tree blend rather than just the bark. Which is fine, and haven't had issues with that.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
I don't know what part of the country your in but look for Corbit cypress mulch or Eucalyptus mulch. The mulch it self has been "pulled" better so the end result is you have smaller pieces of mulch and next to no "blend" added to the bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.