Cuttlebone is enough calcium?

LaRue

quick question. This very young sulcata seems to love the cuttlebone. Nibbling it everyday. Does that mean all is good, or is he low on calcium? Just got him to eat off a plate, some I could sprinkle some, but also saw too much is a bad thing to. Thanks for any help.

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
quick question. This very young sulcata seems to love the cuttlebone. Nibbling it everyday. Does that mean all is good, or is he low on calcium? Just got him to eat off a plate, some I could sprinkle some, but also saw too much is a bad thing to. Thanks for any help.
From what other members have said, if a tortoises feels like they need some calcium, they will nibble on a cuttlebone themselves.
But you are right, too much is not good either.
Does he nibble small amounts or a good-decent amount of cuttlebone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas have to assimilate A LOT of calcium to grow from a 30 gram hatchling to a 55,000 gram adult. How much calcium supplementation we offer depends on several factors. I'm not sure there is a one-size-fits-all recommendation that works here. Adults males with a good diet, really don't need any supplementation. Adult females that are laying eggs, need a significant amount of supplementation in my experience. Growing juveniles need more than the "average" amount too.

I would continue to allow the tortoise to self-regulate its calcium intake, but be sure to feed a high calcium high fiber diet. Lots of grass, mulberry, hibiscus and grape leaves, spineless opuntia pads, and weeds. Adding a pinch of calcium carbonate on the food a couple times a week is also a good idea.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy always has cuttlebone available , in addition he gets cactus paddles, grape leaves, Mazuri and crushed up egg shell dusted over his food every so often ! :)