Cuttle bone

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
Hi guys
Just wondering at what age is it appropriate to introduce cuttle bone to a young sulcuta? Thanks in advance.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
Just got one for Daisy and she loves it, first day she drug it or pushed it into her hide, very strange to me, might be scared I’ll take it away lol

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just got one for Daisy and she loves it, first day she drug it or pushed it into her hide, very strange to me, might be scared I’ll take it away lol

Mine does the same thing! Occasionally it will drag it over to the food dish. Trying to figure out its rationale for that. Lol

Bee62

Germany
I put it in with them from day 1 and they use it when they are ready
Agree !
When the sulcata is a baby use crushed cuttle bones ( small pieces ). The pieces are easier to eat for baby tortoises.
My sullies are now 2 years old and I changed to whole cuttle bones because they are now strong enough to bite bits from the whole cuttle bone.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My sullies are only 4-1/2 months old and they each have a whole bone in their enclosures. Pickles doesn’t really show an interest but I saw Crusher dragging his across the substrate to under his basking spot and then he began taking bites out of it. I was pretty surprised but he ate a good bit of it and didn’t have any trouble..

Bee62

Germany
My sullies are only 4-1/2 months old and they each have a whole bone in their enclosures. Pickles doesn’t really show an interest but I saw Crusher dragging his across the substrate to under his basking spot and then he began taking bites out of it. I was pretty surprised but he ate a good bit of it and didn’t have any trouble..
Have a read on my post. Crush the cuttle bone in small pieces for your young tortoises. I am sure they will eat the pieces.