Creeping charlie and Homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
This morning put my Homes out first full day out this year. The enclosure had become overgrown with creeping charlie (Glechoma hederacea). I pulled about half out leaving the rest as cover. Well lo and behold what do they but begin munching down on it ignoring dandilions, violets, grape leaves and plantain. This surprised me (as does much tort behaviour) as my RFs and Burmese mountains ignore and eventually trample it in the ground.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tort behavior always seems to astound me also. Just when you think you have one figured out they go and change things up. LOL

I have read on some sites http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/plantsthatpoison.htm that creeping charlie black or blue is toxic to torts and creeping Charlie can in fact be toxic, and it is very dangerous for cats and dogs. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-creeping-charlie.htm

Any one else heard this? Or had their torts eat it and be OK?

Its common names include Alehoof, Creeping Charlie (or Charley), Catsfoot (from the size and shape of the leaf), Field Balm, Run-away-robin, Ground Ivy, Gill-over-the-ground, and Tunhoof.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have also heard that it can be toxic to dogs and cats and also horses but I have also observed torts can eat plants that are toxic to mammals. Creeping charlie is also used as a medicinal herb and that is how it came to be introduced in North America.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know when I had my DT, he thought of it as candy. The Russian pen last year was loaded with Creeping Charlie, when I put them out. The first day out in the enclosure they ate all they could reach. This year there wasn't much, but once more they went for it first. I have not saw any problems with it, but then it never lasts long enough to be made into a steady diet.

I haven't tried my Hinges on it, but it would be interesting to see what they would do seeing how none of them have greens as number one in their food hit parades.

As a side note, my box turtles ignore it. None of the other pens have it...or may be they do but it gets eaten before I see it. :cool:

The first time I knew it was eatable was around 15 years ago, when I watched a herd of young Aldabras attack it like candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.