Craters in shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashBang

5 Year Member
In April, I took my tortoise Flash Bang to the vet about craters in his shell. I'm only 15 and he is my first tortoise. I fed him everyday back then And the vet said that I was feeding him way too much and he was growing too rapidly and his shell couldn't keep up with his growth rate. He also has 4 white spots on his shell and it looks like the edges of his shell is fading. He said cut down to 2 feedings a week. So ive been feeding him only twice a week but the craters haven't gotten any better. In July, I cut down to 1 feeding with cuttle bone calcium on his food but I still see no difference. He is healthy the vet said and is really active. He likes to dig, climb, make splashes by hitting his head into water, and run until he's tired. Is there anything that will help Flash Bang? Please help. I don't want his lifespan to be shortened. If need pics then PM me because I'm on my iPod and this is my first post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jon:

I answered your questions in your introductory thread, but I'll say it again here for the benefit of others reading the forum.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but I think you're seeing evidence of a hard life when Flash Bang was a wild tortoise. Russian tortoises are hard wired to eat a lot and quickly. In the wild their awake season is short and they sometimes hibernate for 6 months or more. The only way you can over feed a Russian tortoise is if he's not getting enough exercise. Then he would be a FAT Russian tortoise, not a tortoise with a pitted shell.

Please don't feel bad about how you are caring for Flash Bang. You can only do what people tell you to do. So start feeding him every day once again. Calcium supplements a couple times a week is fine. A good soak in some warm water once a week is fine.

The pits and scars on his shell are not going to go away. That is old. The only parts of the shell that is new is the space between the scutes...the lighter areas.

I'm so glad you've found our forum. We're going to help you understand your tortoise and how to take good care of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.